110.87729700 Electric dryer gets too hot

get off my lawn

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
This dryer has me stumped. It drys the clothes like it supposed to and shuts off when they are dry. However, you open the door after it shuts off and the clothes are too hot to touch. I've already checked for continuity from the element terminals to the heater housing. It is not shorted. The vent hose run is only three feet long and open. Blew it out with a leaf blower for good measure to help cross that off in my head. Fan motor turns just fine (replaced about a year ago). Ran the dryer with the front bottom cover off to verify it runs great and the heating element glows. It does that just fine. The next thing I checked was to see if the element heats up in "air dry" mode. It does. I assume it's not suppose to do that. What else do I need to check before I have to make the expensive decision to replace the two control boards? All help is appreciated. We have four little kids and need to do laundry soon.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Use your meter to check if the heat relay is stuck closed. The heat relay is on the top left corner of the board. Remove at least one of the wires when checking continuity.
WPW10141671 Electronic Control Board

Don't forget to unplug the machine.
Unplug it.jpg

get off my lawn

Premium Member
I pulled the plug on the relay, which consists of a heavy gauge red and black wire, and did a continuity check. I got tone, meaning it was closed. If this means that I have to replace that $275 control board, could I just replace the relay with a new one by de-soldering and resoldering a new on one? I just need to find that relay. Looking at the underside of the board you can see an issue on the relay next to the one you had me do a check on.
20190501_102259.jpg20190501_111659.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, others have tried that with no success.

Here's a much less expensive price for that control board: Main Control Board WPW10141671 Plus you get a $60 credit on your credit card when you return the old one.:)

Total Price after credit $175.39

Jake

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The relay next to it is the motor relay. I agree with Jake, there's too much damage on the board to attempt to repair it.