• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

110.92586210 Kenmore Washer - which direction does motor spin?

jmacintosh

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
3 part question. First... I am diagnosing my transmission. during normal agitation, does the motor spin clockwise or counter clockwise? It seems the agitator moves clockwise only, it doesn't seem to go the other way during operation. Second... I've heard of rebuild kits for these transmissions, are they still around? Third... which ever direction is the proper direction for agitation, what washer function occurs when the motor is spinning in the reverse direction?

thanks
Jeff

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

The motor turns in both directions...one way to agitate and in the other way to spin.

It seems the agitator moves clockwise only, it doesn't seem to go the other way during operation

Usually a gearbox/tranny issue. Take the agitator off and see if the shaft is only going one way.

whirlpool-neutral-drain-transmission-3360629-ap3096209_01_m.jpg
LINK> Neutral Drain Transmission

I've heard of rebuild kits for these transmissions, are they still around?

Nothing for your issue.

jeff.

jmacintosh

Premium Member
My luck seems to be getting worse with this washer.

tonight i found a broken coupler and upon replacing it, the washer wont spin or agitate. The tub is tough to spin either way by hand. I had put a dab of plumber's grease up in the brake drum to ease the stress of the motor shutting down and putting extra stress on the coupler a while back. can the clutch or the brake grab so hard it wont spin suddenly. I had just done multiple loads with no problem.

jeff1

Staff member
can the clutch or the brake grab so hard it wont spin suddenly.

The clutch, not normally. The brake can stop the spin from occuring if it does not release. Something between the tubs can also stop the spin and tub. Tub block can grind out and the tub will drop and no spin will occur.

jeff.

jmacintosh

Premium Member
I already have the agitator out. I tried to spin the basket and it takes a great deal of effort to move it, but I would guess it isnt dragging against the bottom of the tub. I can take the block out and check it.

jmacintosh

Premium Member
if it helps any, the washer will fill, when agitation is supposed to start the motor just hums loudly but appears to turn freely when I disconnect it. when the machine should be agitating it tried to move the agitator and it doesnt want to move. is there something in the transmission that would make it completely lock up?

jeff1

Staff member
is there something in the transmission that would make it completely lock up?

Yes.
If the motor runs ok dropped away from the drive assembly...certainly -sounds- like the tranny is locking up.

jeff.

jmacintosh

Premium Member
Turns out it was a weird fix. Once the coupler was replaced, it still would not spin agitate or drain. Closer inspection found a bad connector on the cylindrical piece on the side of the motor. Fixed the connector, and it is back up and running. The brake was not locking up the tub, however it was still hard to move, so I put a dab of plumbers grease in the brake drum, and it seems to have taken alot of stress off the coupler once the brake kicks in since it slides to stop now over the course of a couple srconds, instead of almost immediately coming to a stop.

however...

It does sound like the gear case shifts or clunks hard when the washer transitions from agitate to drain or from drain to spin. The motor is a replacement motor purchased as a direct replacement for the original from one of the more popular repair sites on the net. Can anything be done about how hard the motor kicks in when it goes from one cycle to the next? I also wonder if the shear force of the washer stopping and having the brake kick in was causing the couplers to break.

jeff1

Staff member
About the only thing we used to do was spray some WD40 into the brake area to prevent the hard breaking when the tub stopped spinning....this would make the tubs jump and stress on the coupler.

jeff.