110.92586210 Loud clicking noise below the tub

jmacintosh

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
The motor and the capacitor were replaced a little over a year ago. Had to replace the pump because it was leaking. Did that yesterday. Ran 4 loads of wash than during the 5th load it started making a loud clicking noise during the agitation cycle, and the lights would dim to the rhythm of the clicking.

Any help would be appreciated...

Jeff

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Jeff,

I have seen that happen before, first thing to do is put your meter leads in the same outlet and see if the voltage drops when the lights dim, if so, then its the customers breaker that's starting to fail.

Jake

jmacintosh

Premium Member
I've seen diagnoses such as the switch on the motor, or the cylindrical (capacitor I called it) piece on the motor. Are you suggesting this because it affecting the whole house?

jmacintosh

Premium Member
Also, please forgive me as I am somewhat an average joe. can you recommend whatever tool necessary to get the readings you are suggesting? I have a small tester for continuity and small voltages. Do you have a better meter you could recommend for a more overall purpose?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Are you suggesting this because it affecting the whole house?
No, just the breaker the washer outlet is on.

This is the multitimer I use:
Multimeter

Jake

jmacintosh

Premium Member
OK, I used my meter on the outlet. I do not have a digital meter. I had it set to overall range of 250. The needle settled a little to the left since that was the reading for 115 volts before turning the washer on. Turned the washer on, and it varied slightly probably by less than 5 volts each time the click would happen. it was not a big swing on the meter.

jmacintosh

Premium Member
ok, things just got interesting...Went to Lowe's to get a digital tester, a replacement GFI and breaker. Tested the outlet and got 119 volts without the washer on. Turned the washer on, clicking started again right away and saw a reading as low as 113 volts to as high as 118 volts.

Then all of a sudden the meter went haywire and I got readings all over the place. the lowest of which for a split second was 80 volts. After another 4 seconds the clicking suddenly stopped, and I was getting a solid reading of 118 volts. Washer is running with no clicking during agitation now.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Is the washer on GFI? It shouldn't be per your owners manual, it needs a regular wall outlet.:)

Jake

jmacintosh

Premium Member
yes, it is on a GFI, and it is the sole outlet on a 20 amp circuit breaker. I have to plead ignorance on this one, because I didn't set this up and I had no idea.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, just letting you know.:)

Jake

jmacintosh

Premium Member
all things considered, what conclusion can be derived from the issue starting then disappearing? Other than get rid of the GFI outlet? Electrons don't get moody do they? lol!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Electrons don't get moody do they? lol!
Mainly only around Halloween.:)

Beats me.:) If it does it again, run a extension cord to a NON-GFI outlet and see what happens.

Jake