110.92832100 Kenmore HE3 Dryer Tripping Circuit Breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

kduddy

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I have a Kenmore HE3 dryer that has been acting up. It's a gas dryer. It starts and stops right away and also trips my circuit breaker. It shows error code "PF". I know that is for a power failure.

I tested the following with a multi-meter (machine unplugged)...
  • Thermal Fuse
    • Tested, but couldn't disconnect terminals / wires, think it's rusted, but still gets power
  • Operating Thermostat
    • Tested, but doesn't seem to get power, multi-meter doesn't seem to read anything.

I also cleaned the insides that had a lot of lint and dust. Including the air duct.

Sounds like some kind of short that could be tripping my circuit breaker. But also not sure why I don't get any power for the thermostat. I guess could be more then one issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Yes, thermal fuse is on the left in your first photo.

Thermal Fuse
Tested, but couldn't disconnect terminals / wires, think it's rusted, but still gets power
Rust can trip the breaker if its getting into the blower wheel housing metal and the thermal fuse metal terminals. Make sure your dryer stays unplugged and ohm test from both of those metal thermal fuse terminals to your metal blower wheel housing and see if your meter shows continuity.

And should these be connected to anything? Seems to be just hanging. Not sure if these got disconnected maybe somehow.
Those loose terminals should connect to your moisture sensor which should be located up into the bottom of your bulkhead, look up underneath of that roller in your 2nd photo, see where that roller nut is located in your 2nd photo? It should be behind that.

Here's the thermal fuse for your model:
WP3390719 Thermal Fuse (disposable, One Time Fuse)

Let us know what you find.

Jake

kduddy

Premium Member
@Jake
Thanks so much for the quick reply.

Please bare with me. I’m new and not familiar with the dryer / electrical lingo.

• Does the operating thermostat, not suppose to read on my multi-meter? Could the thermostat be an issue?
  • And not totally sure if it’s rust. But I can’t remove the terminals from the thermal fuse. I can from the thermostat though. I guess I can try harder :D
  • Also, where is the “metal blower wheel housing”?
I’ll test the fuse again tonight. When I get home from work.

Thanks for all the help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, the part you are calling the operating thermostat is called the thermistor. Ohm test the thermistor at room temperature. Make sure you unplug your dryer first and keep it unplugged when ohm testing.

At room temperature or 70*F the thermistor should show between 11.5K and 11.9K ohms (11,500 -11,900 ohms).

Normal thermistor resistance values:
60 degrees F. - 15.3K ohms.
70 degrees F. - 11.9K ohms.
80 degrees F. - 9.2K ohms.

Here's the thermistor for your model:
Thermistor WP8577274

For others following your thread--->This video shows how to access it: Duet/HE3 Electric Dryer Thermistor Video

Could the thermostat be an issue?
Not likely.

And not totally sure if it’s rust. But I can’t remove the terminals from the thermal fuse. I can from the thermostat though. I guess I can try harder
Pry them off with a flathead screwdriver or needle nose pliers.

Also, where is the “metal blower wheel housing”?
It's the metal that it mounts to.

Jake

kduddy

Premium Member
I was also told that heating element issues or bad power cord / short issues can cause a breaker to trip. How can I test my heating element? And where exactly is that located? And what’s the best way to test the power cord?

Thanks for all the help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
This is a gas dryer, you don't have a heating element.:)

You have a very odd problem that I can't help you with just on this forum, I would need to come to your house to investigate.

Since I'm not close to NJ, You'll need to have Sears come out to see what's going on. Call Sears at 1-800-4-MYHOME

I'm closing this thread.

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.