• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

110.96281100 Kenmore dryer - thermal cut off fuse, why?

paulmars

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Why is it needed? Ive only repaired a few dryers, but this looks like extra part. This dryer has the std High-Limit Thermostat, Operating Thermostat, and Thermal Fuse. However, it also has this Thermal Cut-Off Fuse. This Thermal Cut-Off fuse is located in the heater housing where it feeds the drum and looks more like a thermostat. Its also the most expensive part.

279769 Thermal Cut-Off Kit

See attached diagram. ( )

#1 Thermal Cut-Off Fuse

#34 High-Limit Thermostat

#42 Operating Thermostat

#59 Thermal Fuse

kenmore 110.96281100

tks,
pa

(age is required, but I dont know. brand is required twice, why I dont know.)

Attachments

paulmars

Premium Member
Ive watched several troubleshooting videos for this specific model troubleshooting for no heat. Each video tested the High-Limit Thermostat, Operating Thermostat, Thermal Fuse, heating element. One of the videos tested the timer. None tested or even mentioned the Thermal Cut-Off Fuse.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The thermal cut-off (thermal fuse) 360 degrees and high-limit thermostat 250 degrees.

The thermal fuse is a safety device designed to protect the dryer from overheating and catching fire.

It's very simple, you ohm test the thermal cutoff just like you would a thermal fuse. Same with the high-limit thermostat. Both should read 0 ohms when they are good.

Jake

paulmars

Premium Member
Before I purchase new cut off, I decided to test the two thermostats:

one is marked L155-25F. it opens at 110°F.

the other L250-80F. it opens at 180°F.

Some sites say that number after the dash is +/- for opening temperature. Other sites say that is how much less the temp needs to be for closing. I dont know which sites are correct.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You don't need to worry about temperature on these thermal fuses and high-limit thermostats, just as long as they ohm test good for continuity.:)

Jake

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
paulmars said:
one is marked L155-25F. it opens at 110°F.

the other L250-80F. it opens at 180°F.

Some sites say that number after the dash is +/- for opening temperature.
The L155 is the temp in F. it is designed to open at. It is set to close again once the temp decreases 155-25 = 130 close. 250-80 = 170 F. close. The 25 and 80 respectively is the temp. deferential between open and closing again. Cycling thermostats have a narrower differential than safety thermostats.

JFYI