• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

110.97562601 Kenmore Dryer - Drum Rubbing Top Panel

PaulMS

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Kenmore Dryer Model 110.97562601 Date of purchase 2006

It seems like the drum is slightly rotating unevenly. I felt a hot spot on the top panel of the dryer. When I removed the top panel. I noticed two things:
  1. There was a black mark on the underside of the top panel where the black drum belt was rubbing, causing the friction, and therefore the heated hot spot.
  2. When I ran the dryer, which works fine, I noticed the drum was rotating slightly unevenly. In other words, there was a high spot rubbing the panel for each rotation of the drum.
With the bottom panel removed, the three drum support rollers that I can see (front, back and the middle one on the bottom with the spring & belt) seem to be rotating just fine. I can't see the fourth roller hidden behind the front panel because I didn't remove that panel.

Full disclosure: Over the years I have always stored items (i.e. detergent, dishes, etc.) on top of the dryer, so the top panel seems to have been depressed from the weight, therefore causing the rubbing against the drum each time it rotates. Since that's obviously contributing to the problem, I tried to flatten out the top panel with limited success. So I could still use the dryer, I placed the panel on top of the dryer, but did not install the front of the panel under the front control panel. I placed the panel on top of the control panel and taped it in place, since the two screws could no longer align in the back of the dryer. See attached photo.
With the re-positioned top panel "installed", there is now a sufficient gap between the top panel and the drum, which eliminates the rubbing. Problem "solved".

I'm starting to think that the slightly uneven drum rotation is "normal", and the top panel is the problem.

So here are my options:
Stop putting stuff on top of the dryer, and continue to use it with my "custom designed" top panel installation.
Replace the rollers now.
Buy a new dryer.

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.

Dryer.jpg

PaulMS

Premium Member
Thanks. If I was convinced there was nothing else wrong with the rollers or drum, I would spend the 95 bucks. Thanks again.