• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

110.97585400 Kenmore Dryer No heat......sometimes.

Cdestuck

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I have a Kenmore/Whirlpool gas dryer. A couple times in the past month the wife said she thought it wasn’t heating. I ck it and got heat. Now the other day, no heat so I removed the inspection square and the igniter wouldn’t glow. So spun the dryer around which jars it a bit as it’s in tight quarters. Pull the back, ck thermal fuse and the other two limit switches, all ck fine. Run dryer and got heat. Oh well.

Next day the same, no heat, pull off the front, remove and ck igniter and have continuity. Open back again, all three back there have continuity. Dryer now heats.

Stupid intermittent problem. I think as I’m jarring dryer to turn it, something “open” is closing and it now works. I also ck timer by turning it to heat and have continuity btwn red and black terminals.

If the flame sensor is bad, that wouldn’t prevent the igniter from glowing would it?

Could the thermal fuse or one if the limit switches go partiality bad allowing them to work one moment and not the next after some jarring. I’m pretty stumped. Tk.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I've seen that happen before with the thermal fuse. It checks good but then it gets hot and breaks the connection inside the fuse just enough to make it intermittent. Temporarily bypass it and see if that doesn't solve the problem.

Cdestuck

Premium Member
I certainly will give that a try. It seems the times that I couldn’t get heat was when the dryer was cold but I’m game for anything. I was joking talking to my brother this morning and told him I was about ready to bypass everything to get it running. Took all the spade connectors off this morning and hooked back up for something to do. Duh. Ha. So rt now the dryer is heating but I’m not holding my breath for it to stay that way.

rickgburton

Staff member
Intermittent problems are the hardest to diagnose. You have to wait until it's not working correctly to find the problem. Keep us posted on your findings.

Cdestuck

Premium Member
Well here’s what I found, or didn’t find. I didn’t replace a thing but it’s working. At least for now. I hate intermittent problems. Never did find anything suspicious, I use metal ductwork for the exhaust and it was nearly clean as a whistle. Only possible deal I can think of is a poor connection on a spade connector to one of the switches and by pulling and replacing them back on, I’m getting a better connection. Doubt it but possible.

At one point I thought because of the age of the set, they’re over 25 years old I believe, I thought bite the bullet and buy a new set of machines. Looked on Lowe’s site and the dryer I wanted was back ordered til late June. Dang. Thanks all.

rickgburton

Staff member
Your Whirlpool machine is one of the better models. I just replaced my 30 year old Whirlpool washer with a 20 year year old Whirlpool washer.