• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

110.97588210 Gas Dryer Burner Repeats Sequence: 40 Seconds on, 2 Minutes Off

kc27

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I pulled the lower access panel on my dryer and saw the igniter glow, then a nice blue flame for 40 seconds, then the flame goes out for two minutes, then the sequence is repeated over and over. This is with the dryer in "Timed Dry" mode with the temperature control set to cotton (high). I was prompted to check the burner because while the dryer is getting clothes dry, I noticed the vent pipe is barely warm.

The belt on the dryer broke last week. I replaced it and cleaned the cabinet and venting through to the exterior of the house. The dryer worked fine for several days after the belt replacement, but now I am getting the above behavior. Maybe user error in reassembly of the dryer? I also searched the forums and saw some people had similar issues that were resolved by replacing the gas valve solenoid coils. I would appreciate any advice before I start throwing parts at the dryer. The dryer has been in service since 1996. It has required a few repairs along the way, but has always been very reliable. I mention the age of the unit in case that is relevant to your answer.

Thanks in advance for your time.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
When everything is installed correctly the air flow is as follows:

Enters the burner tube and sucks the flame towards the rear wall and rear burner tube,

Up the rear burner tube and into the drum,

Through the drum and across the lint filter and into the blower housing,

The blower pushes the air out the vent pipe into the vent hose.

Any air leak will cause bad or poor air flow. The temp at the vent on those settings should be around 150°F. If you have good airflow, replace the cycling thermostat.