• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

110.97872603 Kenmore Elite Lint Filter

Fatboym

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hi Folks,
My first posting to the forum.

Short Version: So glad I found this site (see longer story below). I have a kenmore elite He3 110 Gas Dryer, and I'm getting a lot of lint into the vent. I noticed that the felt on the lint filter does not extend all the way along the side of the lint filter. There is a gap in the channel where the felt resides. I noticed online that some of the lint filters have this, and am not sure if mine is supposed to and therefore the cause of the leak. I looked at some whirlpool dryers at bestbuy and noticed that in some cases the felt goes all the way to the ends of the sides. Any insight into whether this could be the cause of excessive lint would be helpful.

Thanks!

Long Version: We expanded our attic and moved the laundry room from the basement to the third floor. We had a VERY old (60's?) kenmore dryer in the basement that was too loud in the basement, so we decided to get a used dryer after spending so much on the renovations. After looking around, my wife found a relatively new dryer on craigslist. However, I told her not to get it as I read reviews that said the Kenmore Elites stop working after a few months. However, she insisted on it, but I wear the shorts in the family. So, she bought it, and lo and behold, a few months later, the laundry doesn't dry. Given other things on my plate, I told her I would eventually get to it, and after three months of her washing laundry on the 3rd floor and carrying it to the basement, I finally decided to try finding a new dryer.
We went to the store and found a dryer we liked for $900. We had heard good things about Whirlpool from the guy at the store, and decided we would buy a Duet. However, before forking out $1000 for another dryer, I decided to do some more research and see if I could fix it myself. I discovered this site and the advice to pull the vent off the dryer and see if it dried. It worked like new! Of course, in my research, I also found that Whirlpool makes Kenmore, and the duet was the same as the Elite He3! This site saved me a good $900!
It turns out there was a clogged mesh on the vent to keep a nest from being built in the cap(on the third floor roof). My contractor removed the mesh, so it shouldn't clog anymore. However, I'm trying to understand why so much lint is passing the filter. My suspicion is that the felt is missing on the lint filter. (Also, I have a vague recollection of trying to get the "clean lint filter" light to turn off and pulling some felt off thinking it was lint... Not sure if this happened or if it was a dream) Don't tell my wife. ;)
Thanks for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Fatboym

Premium Member
Jake,
I think it's 110.9787 or 9789. Sorry for the slow response. I'm now traveling and had to have my daughter look at it.
Jon

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Jon,

Both of those model numbers show good, but your still missing 4 more digits at the end.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Jon thats fine.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks,

This is a very uncommon problem, so I'd need to see a photo of what your seeing to confirm what I think may be the problem.

Take a photo of what your seeing and post it here.

This is the part I think you may need:

Jake

Fatboym

Premium Member
Jake,
There is significant lint going into the duct work. This is what I am seeing on the filter.... The felt around the edge looks like some it was torn off - it doesn't go all the way. Could the lint be getting through the crack? I looked at other dryers at the store and some have the felt all the way around, some don't.

IMG_1133.jpgIMG_1134.jpgIMG_1135.jpg

It has been about a month since our contractor removed the mesh from the duct and cleaned out the duct, and the dryer was working fine. Looks like it is clogged again, according to my wife today.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sorry Fatboym I missed your reply, but the filter seal looks normal compared to a new one, look here:
Lint Filter W10120998

Fatboym

Premium Member
Jake,
Thanks.., that was the information was looking for. So why is so much lint getting into the dryer and then into the duct?
Thanks.
Jon

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Well usually because either you have a rip or torn area in the filter screen or you or your family members not cleaning the lint screen before each load.:)

Jake

rlamoreaux

Premium Member
I am not an appliance tech but I am a pretty good computer tech with the ability to diag. issues in most things. I bought a used Kenmore HE3 dryer and in the process of cleaning it up I noticed alot of lint. I took out the lint trap and removed the inside lint trap grate to clean. There is a screw on both upper corners of this grate and one in the bottom middle(i'll talk about this screw later). All kinds of coins, and other stuff fell into the dryer drum when I removed the grate and I noticed that the bottom middle screw was not connected to anything buy the plastic grate. I asked myself "How did this stuff get past the lint trap?" Well if you are like me when I reinstalled the lint trap grate, by installing the top corner screws first then the bottom middle one, I noticed a large gap at the bottom. When I installed this middle screw it tightened in the plastic only but did not screw into the frame. I found the solution. When reinstalling the grate, secure the bottom middle screw first. Make sure it screws into the frame. Then snap the grate upper corners inplace and install the 2 upper corner screws. This eliminated the gap and hopefully the lint bypassing the trap.

Devin

Premium Member
I know this way beyond the time frame of this question, but I have the same issue. I have not found a solution (haven't tried what @rlamoreaux posted yet) but I get a huge build-up in the sheet-metal plenum that the filter extends down into. I just end up cleaning the plenum out by hand when the filter starts impacting the rising tide of lint. It's about an hour long job, mainly due to the little odd sheet metal screws the hold the front lower panel on.