Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need advice on fixing the door on my whirlpool supercapacity 465 oven

Default need advice on fixing the door on my whirlpool supercapacity 465 oven

so today for some reason my whirlpool supercapacity 465 accubake system (model # SF38SPEED, serial # RG3728798, or so it appears on the tag on lower left front) didn't seem to be working so i pulled it out from the wall alcove by grabbing the oven door. in so doing, i pulled one side of the door off of it's hinge and can't seem to get it back in.

from the pics i am attaching, it looks like the hook like portion (no clue what it would be called) needs to be pressed in and then downwards, so that the tooth closes down on the inside. i've tried doing this several times but cannot seem to get it in.

i am considering aligning as well as i can and then smacking the almighty jimminies out of the door in the hope that it lodges it into place. we're talking sledgehammer time. of course, i don't want to do this if there's a chance it won't accomplish anything but damaging the door.

i didn't pull very hard on the oven to get it out, so i am surprised/annoyed that this happened, and it makes me wonder if the door was loose to begin with.

does anyone know what a repairman (which i can't really afford) would do to fix this?

any advice will be much appreciated, what with thanksgiving coming up!

ps- the 1st 2 pics are the left side, which is fine, as a point of comparison
    Last edited by pepperg; November 15th, 2007 at 09:27 PM.

also, i have no idea if anything is "broken" or if i just pulled the hinge off and need to lock it back on...hoping the latter

Hi,

This should help:
    Read page#50 here, it shows you how to remove the oven door:
    http://shared.whirlpoolcorp.com/asse...%203191537.pdf

Here's another help link:
    http://www.applianceaid.com/oven-hinges.html

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

thanks jake

but if i take the door off, won't i still have the same problem of not getting the hinge to lock back into place?

ok, in looking over the links you provided, i think i should specifiy the problem-- the hinge came off of the oven, not the door, so as you can see from my pics, the hinge is now collapsed into the door. i tried lifting it up so i could remove the hinge from the door, but it is too difficult to lift so i cannot lift it high enough to unscrew.

i think the instructions on page 50 are making the assumption that i can unscrew the door removal pins from the hinges. i can do this for the left side of the door but not the right because the hinge itself came off from inside the oven and is collapsed into the door. so now i am wondering what to do b/c i can't seem to lock the hinge back into place into the side slot on the right of the oven.

does this make sense?

the 1st 2 pics show the left side of the door, with the hinge properly connected to the oven

the last 3 pics show both the slot inside the side of the oven i am trying to fit the hinge back into (but cannot) as well the hinge (or teeth) itself, which seems to have been lifted out of the oven slot and is now collapsed into the right hand slot in the door.

my girlfriend is getting pissed at me and nagging me to hire someone, but i don't want to pay a serviceperson $200 or whatever just to come out and do some simple fix that i am hoping i can do if i can figure out how to.

attached two more pics that shoud show what i mean

Its going to be hard to get that hinge out to put something in it to keep it positioned to reset in the cabinet frame, but try to do it.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

i got the correct pdf guide for this oven from whirlpool, and i will try to upload a page from it. the problem is that the right hand hinge doesn't seem to have a hole on it for me to put in the door removal pin so that it will be at the right angle to place back into the oven. i have lifted the hinge as far out of the door as i can and still don't see the hole that the left side hinge has.

i am uploading the pdf, which has the correct picures of the hinge on page 29 and 30. the hole for the removable door pin as picutred on page 29 and 30 just doesn't seem to be there.

i have been wedging a flat head screwdriver in between the hinge and the door and then lifting, and i am able to lift it far enough out that i see most the hinge.

Ok, its basically the same, there HAS to be a hole, You have to extend that hinge out all the way, you may need another person to help you, it can be very hard to do alone.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast