• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

14 year-old Kenmore dishwasher 587.15252402 stops mid-cycle

lphilpot

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
We have a Kenmore 587.15252402 dishwasher that's making a more labored / groaning-type motor noise than usual and it stops about 10 minutes into the cycle. It fills, cancels and drains normally, but just stops on its own. The lights don't flash, they look normal for being in-progress. We bought it in 2007 and after reviewing our receipt collection, apparently we had to replace the motor in 2009 and again in 2015 as well as the front gasket somewhere along the line.

If this is something I can troubleshoot and possibly fix easily enough, I'm all for it. However, I've not found any actual maintenance documentation nor procedures for this unit.

If a diagnosis isn't obvious, what's your opinion? Given its age and history is it worth chasing? Or just punt and replace it? Just trying to get a feel for where I am.

Thanks.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like the motor again. It might be getting hot and tripping the internal overload. When it stops, will it start right up again or do you need to wait for it to cool down.

This tech sheet should be the same as yours:

Attachments

• 587.15253402 Tech Sheet 2.pdf
    588.9 KB · Views: 31

lphilpot

Premium Member
Just tried it - It fills, runs for about five minutes and stops. I immediately drained it, which went OK (~30 seconds) then restarted another cycle. It filled but the motor didn't start so apparently a cool-down is required. The motor was also making a slightly unusual ticking sound when it first ran. i know that's pretty subjective, but it's not a sound it's made before.

Thanks.

rickgburton

Staff member
Thanks! Happy new year!
Reindeer.gif

lphilpot

Premium Member
Just curious - Most of the YouTube videos I've found on replacing the circulation pump motor assume the dishwasher is out of the cabinet. My wife remembers our repairman many years ago changing the motor just by removing the front access panel and reaching underneath it. I can see the motor but there are hoses and electrical connections in front of it.

I'm not mechanically inept, but I've not changed one of these before. Is removing the dishwasher really necessary or is it easy enough to change from under it?

Thanks.

rickgburton

Staff member
It can be done either way. It's easier when it's pulled out. Depending on the installation, there might be enough drain hose and water line so you won't have to disconnect anything if you pull it out.

lphilpot

Premium Member
I'll see what I can do. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst. LOL For some reason our dishwasher bay isn't next to the sink - There's a cabinet in between, so hoses are already stretched nearly full length. Just one more of many head-scratchers in our strange house...

rickgburton

Staff member
Leaving it installed is faster and taking it out is easier. Service techs like faster and they have done them before so they know if faster is sometimes taking it out.