153.331543 Kenmore Power Miser 12 Water Heater - Pilot light will not stay lit

Airforce

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Pilot light will not stay lit.Every year I clean the side vent screens and the heater has worked afterwards.Now,the pilot light will not stay lit.I think I should remove the burner assembly to clean the flame arrestor which has never been done.My question is,when I put the assembly back in,do I coat the threads of the pilot tube,burner tube,and the thermo couple connection points with anything? The video below is the heater I have and what I want to do.You can see the connection points I speak of in the video at 1:41.

Thanks in advance!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
You don't need to put anything on the threads. The burner assembly is no longer available on several parts sites. On others it says out of stock which usually means they haven't marked it discontinued yet. Most of the parts for that water heater have been discontinued. There's only a few parts still available. The reason I'm telling you this is because at some point in the near future you're going to need to replace it.
Snapshot_1.jpg

I just checked and Sears shows it in stock.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
You'll get the most mileage out of the heater if you're not going to replace it.