Thread: Duet WED9200SQ0 Heater Element Replacement

Default Duet WED9200SQ0 Heater Element Replacement

Model Number: WED9200SQ0
    Brand: Whirlpool

Hello!

I have a Whirlpool Duet Dryer, model WED9200SQ0. I have verified that the Heater Element needs replaced using my multimeter. I have acquired the correct part 8544771 My issue is that I cannot figure out from the parts list drawing or troubleshooting guide (found inside dryer) how to actually remove the heater element.

All information I have located online is for the *other/older* Duet dryers, where the element simply slides out from the front (like the part 3387747 element found in most dryers, that my parts guy tried to give me at first). My dryer is different: after removing the heat shield (which is also secured differently from standard dryer), I find that my heater element mounting plate is screwed in quite securely with at least 4 screws, and you can't get to all the screws, so there is no way it will slide out.

Is there a different way to access it (remove drum, remove back panel, etc), or is there a way to actually remove the heater can entirely and do all the work at a bench/table? Another useful item would be a link to a repair/service manual for my specific model. Thank you!

Yes, this must be a different model, because all the ones I've change just pull out of the heater housing, once you remove 1 screw that holds it to the heater housing.

I can't locate any other information on this model to assist you to remove the heating element.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default solution

I finally had to just suck it up and remove the 4 screws with the heater can inside the dryer (and also had to unscrew the cutout and thermostat), after which point I found the clip at the back, where all I had to do was push in a little tab to slide out the entire can. I had thought of this earlier, but couldn't get the tab to push in (plus the parts diagram showed a screw that wasn't really there), so I had given up. Needless to say, it went back in fairly effortlessly, and I would now call changing the element an easy task (knowing what I now know, that whirlpool couldn't tell me in the first place).

Moral of the story: keep your vent line free of lint.
    Last edited by usnbostx2; December 16th, 2009 at 05:00 AM. Reason: spelling

Excellent, good job getting it out.

Thanks for the added information on it.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Quote Originally Posted by usnbostx2 View Post
    I finally had to just suck it up and remove the 4 screws with the heater can inside the dryer (and also had to unscrew the cutout and thermostat), after which point I found the clip at the back, where all I had to do was push in a little tab to slide out the entire can. I had thought of this earlier, but couldn't get the tab to push in (plus the parts diagram showed a screw that wasn't really there), so I had given up. Needless to say, it went back in fairly effortlessly, and I would now call changing the element an easy task (knowing what I now know, that whirlpool couldn't tell me in the first place).

So where, exactly, is this tab located? I'm trying to replace my heater element now and can't see any tab anywhere to press. Is it at the back of the tube that the heating element is in? Is it near the top? Side?

Any help would be appreciated.

Default Cannot get to clip to remove can

I am trying to remove the entire can and think I found the clip. It has two small tabs sticking out at the rear of the can. (See Photo) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Heating Element Clips.jpg 
Views:	453 
Size:	318.5 KB 
ID:	13569 I cant move them. Is this the correct tabs? If so, what do I do to remove can.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Heating Element Clips.jpg 
Views:	453 
Size:	318.5 KB 
ID:	13569

Quote Originally Posted by usnbostx2 View Post

Ok, There is a video now to show you how to access/replace the heating element on this model. Just click the part link below and the video is there.

WP8544771 Heating Element

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts