Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GE Side By Side Temp flucutations, ice melting

Default GE Side By Side Temp flucutations, ice melting

Model Number: PSC25PSTASS
    Brand: GE

I need help diagnosing my fridge problem. The temperature will fluctuate and will get warm enough to melt the ice in the icebox. Sometimes my ice cream is soft and sometimes its hard (like it should be). This happens on both sides, the freezer and the fridge side. Please help with some suggestions. Its really annoying and ive already turned off the ice maker to avoid more icicle build-up. As of this writing my freezer temp is at 5 and my fridge at 40. Please any help is appreciated. Thanks!!

Default ge fluctuating temperature

The first question is: Has this been going on for awhile?

If so: The refrigerators sections are controlled independently by thermistors which evaluate the temperatures via a resistance value which is then monitored by a motherboard located on the rear wall of the appliance. I recently had a refrigerator with this exact same model and issue. If the problem is ongoing and intermittent, it would seem like the motherboard is having an issue. If one of the thermistors would fail, it would seem like the problem would be on one side more than the other and it would be more than intermittent. There other things which can lead to cooling issues obviously, but with you using the word "sometimes" I would tend to lean toward the motherboard being the culprit. These particular boards have been revised so many times, it wouldn't suprise me.

As I previously stated, my customer had the exact same issue with temps fluctuating in the freezer to +5 and temps in fresh food section at 40-45 degrees. Also same deal with the ice bin melting. Best guess without actually being there diagnosing the unit would be the motherboard.

Hope this helps.
    Justin Shaffer
    In Home Appliance Service Technician

Yes, I agree with Justin, a bad motherboard is the first thing that came to my mind as well.

Here's the motherboard for your model you can order:
    Manufacturer part number WR49X10152 is RepairClinic item number 1266021

We have a special program here, all parts you order from our links we post are returnable within 30 days for a FULL refund if they don't fix the problem.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Ok, that sounds like a confident diagnosis to me, especially since you recently serviced one with the same problem. Is a mother board replacement easy to do? Thanks for all your help guys.

Seven: I had the exact same issue with my similar GE model. See my post from the other day...Jake called out the motherboard as the problem. gonna order mine soon...good luck....Sean

Yes fairly easy, just make down on paper where your electrical connectors go before pulling them off the original board. And the new board should come with instructions as well.

There should be about 4 screws that holds it in place on each corner.

Its in the back of your refrigerator, pull your refrigerator out from the wall, then take off the motherboard cover#803 here, then your motherboard is #801, Unplug your refrigerator first:

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Just ordered the mother board, fingers crossed. Thanks for all your help, I'll keep you posted.

Ok, sounds good.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Just follow ALL the directions with the instruction sheet that comes with it. Just FYI an encoder in the instructions refers to refrigerators which have digital DIALS not push buttons to adjust temperature. You'll possibly need that info.
    Justin Shaffer
    In Home Appliance Service Technician

So far so good. I installed the new motherboard a little over a week ago and everything seems to be working properly. The ice maker has been on, making ice and no melting so far. The temps are consistent and haven't been fluctuating. It also seems to be running much smoother than it did before (quieter, less random noises from turning on and off) so that is a plus too. Just wanted to let everyone know, and to also ask if there is a test or something I can do to really know 100% that it is fixed? Like I said, everything seems good, but I just want to know for sure before I "close the book" on this "chore", let the 30 day return policy run out, and move on to the next broken thing in this house Please let me know. You guys have been great, thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast