1940’s GE Refrigerator Relay

Comar

Premium Member
I just acquired a 1940’s era GE refrigerator. It worked great for a few weeks but just quit working.
I’m getting voltage to the relay, so I wanted to just try to change it. Bear with me as I have no idea what I’m doing. By no means an electrician or repair man.
The relay is: CR. 1057-R1A-RELAY G.5
CAT. WR7X2
V. 110 CYC. 50/60 HP. 1/8 AMP 3.2
Is there a replacement part for this relay?

Attachments

• 265F8FA4-0CF3-4B80-B49A-D8461B1675F7.jpeg
    265F8FA4-0CF3-4B80-B49A-D8461B1675F7.jpeg
    429.7 KB · Views: 22

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Before you invest in a relay, check the compressor windings first. Make sure the compressor is still good.
R-Vintage Compressor Windings.jpg

This relay will work but may require some rewiring.

Comar

Premium Member
Hello Rick. Thanks so much for your reply.
I’m not able to test the resistance as you suggested, but I did find online how to connect ac directly to the compressor.
When I did this, the compressor kicked on as usual.
At this point I guess my next step would be to try to change the relay with the one you suggested?
I sure hope we can get this family heirloom back up and running.

Comar

Premium Member
Rick, I was able to use the SUPCO R081 relay and got things up and running. The light/door switch works as it should and the refrigerator cooled right down. Unfortunately it just kept on cooling! So I’m guessing we have a bad thermostat.

Comar

Premium Member
I believe so. The light and door switch work and it got cold very fast. It just never would shut off which led me to believe the thermostat might be bad.

Comar

Premium Member
Thanks Rick. I hope that is the case because I was just looking at the thermostat last night and it looks like it will be a little tougher to replace. I’ll be able to check it out here in a bit and I’ll let you know. Thanks!

Comar

Premium Member
Here we go Rick.
New relay:
RED (run) to green from compressor
BLACK (start) to black from compressor and white towards thermostat and white to wall plug
WHITE (common) to white from compressor

The relay has two black leads on the side. One is not used. The other is wired to the black from the wall plug and black towards thermostat.
I have the green from the thermostat grounded to the refrigerator.

I hope this makes sense

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I hope this makes sense
It does not. Black is common, white is start and red is run on the compressor. Both black wires on the relay are used.