FIXED 1940 GE refrigerator model PCB6-40A - Unidentified black nodule in Vintage GE Refrigerator Relay

mrcommem

Premium Member
Model Number
PCB6-40A
I am repairing some of the wiring on a 1940 GE refrigerator model PCB6-40A and I am having difficulty with the rely. I replaced all the wire going to and from the relay (GE CR 1057-R1) except for one black wire coming from the power cord going in the relay. The wire is connected by a black nodule to a wire that goes to the thermostat. I does not connect to the relay in any way but just serves to connect the two black wires. I seems to made out of plastic or nylon My questions are:

What is this black nodule?
Can I remove it and just connect the two black wires.

Any help would be appreciated. I would like to get my fridge working again. I have had it for over 50 yrs.

Sincerely,

Rob Kientzle

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

Have a picture?

jeff sr.

mrcommem

Premium Member
Here is an image of the nodule that connects the two black wires. It is about 3/8" in diameter and about 1 1/2 inches long, dark black with no imprints or writing on it. The insulation did go all the way to the nodule where it goes inside.

nodule.jpg

Last edited:

jeff1

Staff member
If no writing is on it I would believe that it is not a resistor, capacitor, diode of any sort and just a wire connector.
As a test, your idea of just bypassing it would be a good try.

jeff sr.

Old Fridge Guy

Appliance Tech
Correction! Upon closer inspection of your picture that may be a resistor. Early GEs, into the '50s used a resistor in the power circuit for the compressor.

jeff1

Staff member
that may be a resistor.

I was surprised there was no writing on it!

jeff sr.

Old Fridge Guy

Appliance Tech
You'd think there would be a part number, resistance value, or something on it. When I first looked at the picture it appeared to be a junction block. GE and Hotpoint used a rubber junction block, which looks very similar to this, to tie the power cord, compressor wiring, etc. together on some models. But that would have more than two wires on it. I've only ran across this type of resistor a couple times. Best to leave it in the circuit if the refrigerator is working correctly. I don't really know why it's there, but it must be there for a reason. Every once in a while a replacement will pop up on Ebay. Might be a good idea to get a spare when you can.

jeff1

Staff member
Thankx for the info! :)

jeff sr.

jeff1

Staff member
Either a broken resister or just a wire connector.
My *guess* is a wire connector....but a 1940 refrigerator is 22 years older than me ;)

jeff sr.

mrcommem

Premium Member
I thank you all for your help. Thinking the nodule was just a connector I joined the two black wires together. The old refrigerator seems to be working properly. The freezer area is frozen and the air temperature on the lower shelf is now at 34 degrees. I loaded up the rest of the shelves with beer and soda so we will see how it handles them. The reason I defrosted the refrigerator in the first place was due to ice buildup and some of the bottles were freezing. It probably needs a gasket seal after all these years. Anyone know where I can get a replacement gasket for the door?

Rob Kientzle

Last edited:

jeff1

Staff member
Thankx for the update :)

jeff sr.

mrcommem

Premium Member
I installed a very simple gasket on the refrigerator. The old one was very dried out and brittle. It’s been over two weeks and temperature is around 33-34. Very little ice has built up on the freezer compartment. The thing is so quiet it’s hard to tell when the compressor is running. I will update in a few weeks.

Sincerely,

Rob Kientzle

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.