1940s/50s Monarch electric range

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Rick is getting his internet fixed, to answer your question, NO--->UNPLUG IT.:)

When using your multimeter on OHMS to check continuity, you ALWAYS unplug the machine first!

Jake

bkuhlman

Premium Member
Disconnected the wires from the bottom of the silver metal box and tested for continuity between them - NO continuity. Not sure about, "With a meter check from each post to ground." Could you explain what this means?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
check from each post to ground.
A ground screw is any screw holding the box together or any metal.
Snapshot_5.jpg

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, That tells us your element inside the box is bad/open. It also tells us that's not where the short is. So that part of the range has two problems so far, bad element and bad thermostat.

rickgburton

Staff member
I'm not sure how to answer that. It all depends on how well you like the range and how much time and money you want to put into it. We know the roaster thermostat is causing the short and the element needs to be repaired. Are the other elements and oven working correctly? You started checking everything when you came across the short but did you finish checking the rest of the range? If not, that's your starting point. Find everything that's not working. Keep in mind, parts for a 1947 Monarch electric range are no longer available. You can probably find a used part(s) and I believe the thermostat is rebuildable. If the elements and oven are working, you can use it as is without the roaster. If you want to get everything fixed and working it's no longer a repair, it's a project. I believe the range is rebuildable but it's going to take time and a lot of searching. eBay sells a lot of vintage parts. You're missing a few cosmetic parts like the light on top. I don't know how important that is.

Update: It looks like the thermostat and roaster element can be rebuilt: http://www.antiquestoves.com/toac/thermostats.htm

Here's some 1947 advertising:
s-l500.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

mh6702a.jpg