1940's Occidental - Burner won't self-light

Ophitoxaemia

Premium Member
After my 3 year old broke an egg down into the burner opening, the right front burner won't light from the pilot anymore. It was gradually getting harder to light before this, however.

I cleaned it gently but no go.

It's a probably 1940's Occidental.

Here's a couple of pictures. The principle seems to be that the gas is released under the burner, which sucks air in from the tubes what go towards the front of the stove with the hinged flaps. The flow of gas and air should pull the pilot down the tube seen above the burner in the picture which ignites the main gas flow.

Gas still comes out of the burner- it will light easily with a match.

My question is, how do I fix this burner so it self-lights again? What parts are important for this feature and which are likely to be the source of the problem. I note that the tube that carries the flame from the pilot to the burner appears to be stamped steel and could possibly have a leak?

Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

You said this: Here's a couple of pictures.

But I don't see any pictures, can you please upload them so we can see?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks,

If there was a gas leak you would smell it, sounds like the issue your having is the pilot light is too small, it needs to be normal size again. I'd check the pilot orifice for clogs, I do see that happen a lot on these pilot igniting gas ranges.

Jake

Ophitoxaemia

Premium Member
I compared the size of the flame of the pilot to the other side and it looks to be the same size. Also, the rear burner on the problem side self-lights, so that suggests the pilot is not the only concern.

When I turn on the rear burner on the problem side, I see a little puff of flame near the pilot before the burner lights. On the front burner I don't see this.

I checked for leaks along the flame tube with a lit match and the front burner on low- no lights.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
As gas flows into the burner, air is drawn into the shutter to provide primary air for the proper air/gas combustion ratio. As the gas reaches the burner head, it will begin to flow through the climber holes in the side of the burner head and into the flash tube. Gas flows through the flash tube and is then ignited by the standing pilot. As this gas is ignited, it flashes back through the tube and ignites the burner.
Snapshot_1.jpg

Ophitoxaemia

Premium Member
I think I understand; gas is drawn into the flame tube towards the pilot, where it ignites back into the burner.

So what could be wrong is the source of the gas that is supposed to go into the flame tube is obstructed. This would also explain why the burner lights with a match. Anything else to look for?

However, access isn't great.

Is it not advised to try to take the assembly apart? The fasteners have probably not been undone in 60 years, so I've been hesitant to break an unavailable part.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
You shouldn't need to unfasten anything. On those old machines the front and rear burner assembly is one piece and just lifts out or it's two pieces and each one lifts out. You probably don't need to remove them. Look for a couple small holes in the side of the burner in front of the flash tube opening. Try using a small wire brush on the side of the burner or use a mirror and bend a straight pin into an "L" shape to clean the holes. There's also a pilot adjustment where the two pilot tubes come together and connect to the manifold. If you need more instructions I'll need pictures with the top up or off.

Ophitoxaemia

Premium Member
My burner now self lights- thank you!

There were three small, and oddly irregularly positioned, holes facing the flame tube. I cleaned these with a wire and now it works!