1940's or 1950's Kelvinator Wiring

Masondavis

Premium Member
9B5BE762-16E0-4C29-8DA6-08DED06CE9C1.jpeg

G

The wiring on the right, going to the compressor, looks good. Is the wiring on the left the power cord that's been cut off? Looks like it. I'd replace the power cord with a new one, hook it up to the same screws as the old cut off piece is hooked up to. Plug it in and the compressor should run, if the relay is good. If the thermostat is still in the circuit, turn it all the way up too.

Masondavis

Premium Member
Okay thanks I still eliminate the junction box is this diagram my new wire pattern

Attachments

• F21BF10D-CE4D-419F-82A9-CFAF8091B720.jpeg
    F21BF10D-CE4D-419F-82A9-CFAF8091B720.jpeg
    12.2 KB · Views: 36
G

The L stands for Line. Which is the common terminal for the compressor. If you also have the letter M, that's for motor (run winding), and S is the start winding.

Vermeer01

Premium Member
What ga wire are you guy rewiring them with
Hello,
I'm new at this .
I have a Kelvinator 1940's or 1950's , Refrigerator Mod# M-7-R , Ser#4307695 and the power cord is brittle , it's wired to a ceramic block, is the block a (relay, coil or junction block ) ?

The ceramic block has the wires epoxied into it.

I want to replace the bad wires and the block if possible .

The power cord , compressor ,light and thermostat wires come out of the block.

What do I need to re-wire and fix this and the compressor did work before I started this project , so I think I have a good refrigerator to work with.

Thank you,
Tim
What ga wire did you use on your kelvinator to rewiring it and how does the light switch come out thanks

JoeW76

Premium Member
Hi all. I've been looking for help with a vintage Kelvinator refrigerator that was gifted to me. I'm trying to restore it. My first issue is the wiring and the compressor. After pulling everything apart, it appears all of the wiring inside the unit is in good shape, soft and workable.. The plastic/rubber covering on all the wiring on the outside, between the compartment and compressor, is brittle and falling apart; lots of exposed wire. Fortunately (miraculously?) the wiring diagram is in excellent condition. So, I'm going to replace all the outer wiring and power cord; hopefully grounding it in the process.

I've attached some labeled pictures for reference. It appears to be missing a relay. I'm guessing someone tried to fix this in the past and got stuck there. Is this something I can replace with a modern version and does anyone have suggestions on finding the right one? Also, The three-wire leading from the missing relay to a plug that attaches to the compressor is very brittle and some wiring is exposed. Is that plug replaceable? Is it something I can take apart and attach/insert new wires to and close back up? If neither, can I just find some kind of individual connectors to attach the wires to the prongs?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. On other notes: None of the wiring is copper. Is it safe for me to leave all of the internal wiring in place and use copper for what i'm replacing?

Attachments

• Labeled 1.jpg
    Labeled 1.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Labeled 2.jpg
    Labeled 2.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Labeled 3.jpg
    Labeled 3.jpg
    472 KB · Views: 9
  • Labeled 4.jpg
    Labeled 4.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Labeled 5.jpg
    Labeled 5.jpg
    367.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Rotation of IMG_5188.jpg
    Rotation of IMG_5188.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Rotation of IMG_5203.jpg
    Rotation of IMG_5203.jpg
    362.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Rotation of IMG_5224.jpg
    Rotation of IMG_5224.jpg
    382.3 KB · Views: 9

JoeW76

Premium Member
Thank you for your help. I do not have continuity across all of the terminals, so the compressor is shot.

JoeW76

Premium Member
Let's say I'd like to go ahead and replace the compressor: The tag on the system says it s a 115V 1/8 hp with F-12 (R-12?). I saw you mention on another thread that R-12 and R-414b are interchangeable. Is there a new compressor that works with this refrigerant (is that refrigerant even still available?), or is it better to flush the system and go with R134a?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The biggest problem you'll have is finding a certified and qualified refrigeration tech that wants to do do the job. It's probably not worth it.

JoeW76

Premium Member
My neighbor is a HVAC installer that said he would do all the connecting (flushing, brazing, vacuuming, leak/bubble test, filling, etc.). I just need to get him the components.... and beer. If I can do this for a few hundred dollars it would be worth it for me.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
HVAC installer...... I just need to get him the components.... and beer.
I just got a shiver......lol. Don't use a drop-in refrigerant with a new compressor. If he doesn't have R-12 go with 134a.

Where in Jersey?