1946 Frigidaire Cold Wall Ticking

carbonbrewer

Premium Member
Model Number
N/A
Hello fellow Antique Appliance Aristocrats!

I recently purchased a 1946 Frigidaire Cold Wall Refrigerator and it works great, gets nice and cold in both the freezer section and the refrigerator and the light comes on without a problem.

MY only concern is that when I plug it in a ticking noise can be heard coming from the compressor that starts out slowly but then becomes constant as the compressor spins up. Not knowing much about compressors I was wondering if there is any way to make it stop? Fridge still works like a dream so don't want to mess with it too much but the noise is quite annoying. Looking for any advice I can get!

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
If it's coming from inside the compressor, there is nothing that can be done about it. It sometimes happens on older compressors.

Dan O.

Old Fridge Guy

Premium Member
Can you post a picture of your Frigidaire? On some of these the compressor relay is in close proximity to the compressor itself. You have a start winding and a run winding in the compressor motor. When the compressor comes on the start and run windings are connected together by the relay. As the motor comes up to speed a bimetallic strip inside the relay heats up and disconnects the start winding. The motor then continues to run on the run winding only. If the relay is bad it may be chattering and that's the noise you're hearing. You can find the relay by following the power cord to a little black box. This will be the relay. Or follow the wiring from the compressor to the little black box. If the relay is indeed chattering it will need to be replaced.

carbonbrewer

Premium Member
If it's coming from inside the compressor, there is nothing that can be done about it. It sometimes happens on older compressors.

Dan O.
Is it possible to replace the compressor and refrigerant with a new one? I mean at the end of the day, does it matter what refrigerant is in the circuit?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Is it possible to replace the compressor and refrigerant with a new one?

Not usually on a GM Frigidaire, no.

Most older Frigidaire models usually used a rotary compressor with unique mounting. Besides having a very difficult time mounting a more modern compressor, the capillary tube used on rotary compressors systems is much smaller than used on newer models which means the whole heat exchange to the evaporator would need to be replaced too. Attaching a new heat exchanger to the existing evaporator would be problematic as well... if you can even find a technician willing to attempt servicing it.

There are companies that totally replace the whole refrigeration system (compressor and evaporator) but they often charge $3,000-$5,000 for a total restoration.

Dan O.