FIXED 1947 GE fridge wont run

Nbrons23

Premium Member
So my wife bought a 1947 GE fridge. It worked at the guys house when we picked it up. It sat for maybe 2 or 3 weeks until I got a replacement cord. Hooked it all up, plugged it in, and only the light works nothing else. Any ideas? I thought maybe this what I believe is a fuse on the black wire (wider portion) needed to be removed? Could that be it and I just need to cut it off and rewire?
20200614_160236.jpg

Last edited:
G

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 20181204_011137.jpg
    20181204_011137.jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 20181204_011410.jpg
    20181204_011410.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 54

Nbrons23

Premium Member
I thought it was weird that the white and black where hooked to the same screw but that's how it was when we got it. I'm not extremely familiar with electrical but I am assuming the "control" is what would be the new cord with plug correct?

G

Yes, that's correct. Control is going to the temperature control dial mechanism in the freezer box, glass leads is going to the compressor, and, obviously, fan is going to the fan motor if equipped. Hope that helps!

Nbrons23

Premium Member
Yes, that's correct. Control is going to the temperature control dial mechanism in the freezer box, glass leads is going to the compressor, and, obviously, fan is going to the fan motor if equipped. Hope that helps!

Ok so I hooked it up this way with the plug cord being the control wire and now it sounds like it's trying to run but nothing and I have no light now. Any ideas? The old setup I had light but it didnt sound like it was trying to run

Nbrons23

Premium Member
I dont understand how it worked the original way with the black and white wires connected. And I set it back up that way and nothing but light. Now I set it up this way and I get nothing but trying to run

G

Looks like, from the diagram, the black wire bypasses the relay and hooks directly to the black wire with the bulge on it. The bulge is most likely just a splice. Then the white wire from the cord goes on the relay with the white wire from the control, and the black wire from the compressor. Hope that helps!

Nbrons23

Premium Member
I just set it back up like the original photo the way it was when we got it. I have light again but nothing with compressor. Doesnt if sound like it's trying to run. Do the black wires need to be all connected?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I just set it back up like the original photo the way it was when we got it.
OK, disregard everything you read up to this point. Measure the voltage at the compressor.

Nbrons23

Premium Member
Ok I got it working with the original diagram you sent. I didnt know i couldn't have the new cords ground wire connected with the other green wires. It's now connected to the metal bar on the bottom and working fine. Is it normal for the one side on the back to be hot as hell?

Nbrons23

Premium Member
The back of the fridge. The metal back that has the compressor attached to it is hot on the right side if your looking at it

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I think you're referring to the static condensor on the back. That's normal. When any gas is compressed it gets hot and the job of the condensor is to get rid of the heat.

G

Nbrons23, glad to hear you got it running!! Happy to hear that my wiring diagrams were, in fact, helpful! Thanks for letting us know!!