1947 GE Refrigerator Freezing Everything - Project

sarahpyke

My 93 year old grandmother has not been using this refrigerator for many years and it was filling up her garage. Growing up I saw it in my grandparents house and I always dreamed of having it one day. My grandparents bought it new the year they were married in 1947; it was their first purchase as a married couple. As a newly married couple, 3 years, my husband and I got it with the hopes of restoring it.

Since getting it we have done mostly cosmetic updates: repainted the unit, installed a new cord and put a new gasket/seal around the door. The last time my grandparents used it, it worked. The refrigerant still flows and everything gets cold. To our astonishment it is actually too cold. No matter the setting we turn the dial to, the unit still freezes a glass of water in the refrigerator area.

What do we need to do to fix this problem?

For reference I have attached the following photos.

IMG_3162.jpg
IMG_3164.jpg
IMG_3165.jpg

IMG_3166.jpg
IMG_3168.jpg
c

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
sarahpyke said:
t is actually too cold. No matter the setting we turn the dial to, the unit still freezes a glass of water in the refrigerator area. What do we need to do to fix this problem
If the thermostat is not cycling the compressor on and off properly for the setting, the thermostat is responsible.

The thermostat has a sensor buld that should be attached to the freezer box to detect its temperature. Make sure it's still mounted properly and the capillary line wasn't damaged.

If that's not the cause, the thermostat may be defective and need to be replaced.

Dan O.