1948 GM Frigidaire setting dial.

Kellsey

Premium Member
Thanks Dan O.
For some unknown reason the'48 defrosted itself. Also, I use it to
hold 2-10 gallon Cornelius kegs. I might open the 'fridge once every
couple of weeks to switch the beer line. It's always stay on #2 and it's
around 33'. I didn't know what the letters meant.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Kellsey said:
For some unknown reason the'48 defrosted itself
Someone should keep an eye on that. About the only possibilities are the thermostat might be 'sticking' during an off cycle or the relay failing to restart the compressor.

Dan O.

drluv

Premium Member
Can anyone tell me a modern cold control (thermostat) part number that will work with a 1956 GM Frigidaire Refrigerator? I have read that a Ranco A30-180 will work?

Last edited:

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
For older refrigerators with just a tiny freezer box, an absorption refrigerator thermostat usually has the closest temperature range. The only universal one of those i know of is a Ranco VA2. I don't know if you'll find one in the USA but that universal control line is popular elsewhere in the world (including here in Canada). The absorption refrigerator control replacement is not one of the most popular in the series.

LINK > VA2 Refrigerator Cold Control

Dan O.

drluv

Premium Member
Thanks Dan. I read somewhere that a Ranco A30-180 worked for someone with a 1948 GM Frigidaire. Do you know if that would work?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I have no idea of the temperature specifications of a A30-180.

drluv

Premium Member
A30 Adaptable Constant Differential Control.
  • These Compact Controls Are Readily Adaptable To Nearly All Commercial Refrigerators and Freezers.
  • A Wide Selection Of Temperature Ranges, Differentials, and Capillary Lengths Are Available.
  • Break-Off Shafts Are Included with Installation Instructions For Easy, Fast Installation.
  • Controls Have "Off" Position Except As Noted.
  • Spst
  • Differential 13 °F
  • Normal Off 9 °F
  • Normal On 22 °F
  • Warm On 38 °F
  • Cold Off -4 °F
  • Capillary Length 42"

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
The differential is wider than the VA2 which is 8 deg. The A30-180 might cause the fridge to get slightly too cold or slightly too warm before it cycled the compressor on or off. You might not notice though. Water might slightly freeze but then thaw by the time the control cycled again or it might have been in an extended off cycle when the drink was grabbed.

The wider differential is more suited to a full-width freezer box (ie. a more modern manual defrost refrigerator) but as I said, you might never notice.