1948 MJ-7 Frigidaire restoration

AKTom

Model Number
MJ-7
i have an old 1948 Frigidaire MJ-7. It needs to be rewired. can you point me in the right direction? any other tips and tricks will be appreciated. I'm an old trim carpenter, but i figure i can sort this mess out with a little guidance.
thanks,
Tom

Old Fridge Guy

Premium Member
Here's the wiring diagram for your Frigidaire. To access the wiring going to the thermostat and light switch you'll need to remove the bottom and right side breaker strips. This is done by unscrewing the retainer that holds the light switch to the right breaker strip (I'm assuming your door opens from the left). Push the switch through the hole. Now remove the metal corner pieces holding the breaker strips in place by sliding them toward the center of the cabinet. A small flat blade screwdriver or pick tool is useful for this. Once you have the metal corner pieces out, gently and carefully slide the breaker strips toward the inside of the cabinet to remove them. They're very delicate and will crack or break easily! You'll now see filler strips held in place by screws that have to come out as well. On the lower left corner of the cabinet you'll see a small cover where the wires come up from under the refrigerator. Remove the one screw and remove the cover. Behind the cover is a rubber grommet that the wires go through. It has a slit in it to remove the wires. From here you can remove the old wires and run the new wires. The light bulb wiring will most likely be good and not have to be replaced. On this model, with the condenser in the bottom of the cabinet, the wiring that is above the condenser deteriorates from the heat of the condenser.

Attachments

• frigidaire-wiring-diagram-americansilvercoinsfo-of-wiring-diagram-for-frigidaire-refrigerator.jpg
    frigidaire-wiring-diagram-americansilvercoinsfo-of-wiring-diagram-for-frigidaire-refrigerator.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 27
If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.