1949 GE Fridge

DaveTX

Premium Member
Man I really want to get this going again. I have been around and around with people here. Finally got a guy willing to give it a shot on working on it. Everything works awesome (the compressor is still working perfect)...but there is definitely a leak somewhere. Does anyone know of something that would work to fix the leak? I finally have someone that seems to be pretty good with working on it. He just doesn't know if there is a stop leak additive that works with R12. I still have access to some R12. Any ideas? Thanks.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
DaveTX said:
Rick,
Definite leak. It is in the line going into the evaporator. My guy doesn't know of a way to fix it because it is in the aluminum components. Here is a picture. The leak is right below the letter H. It is right where that tube goes into the evaporator on the back side. Sounds like that may be all she wrote.

David

rickgburton said:
DaveTX said:
Rick,
So my guy asked me to keep it running for a week and watch it. (still plan on him coming out on 10/4) While I know the thermometer built inside is not super reliable I did notice that it is fluctuating up and down some. Not much. Just maybe an 1/8 or an inch or so. Do you think that would be more evidence that it isn't a leak? The only way to get it to do any cooling is on the 1 or 2 setting. If you move it toward the coldest setting it quits cooling completely. This keeps me wondering if there could be something off about the thermostat. Just throwing that out there in case it makes anything clearer.
David
The easiest way to tell if the cold control (thermostat) is the problem (and it is the problem) is to see if the compressor is running when it's not cooling. When you have a refrigerant leak the compressor runs constantly trying to satisfy the cold control.
Jc87wwI.jpg

Hi David, I'm limited in private messages so I moved things here.

There's a couple ways to repair a leak in an aluminum evaporator. The best way is to braze over the leak with an aluminum brazing compound. This way is extremely difficult if you don't have excellent brazing skills. I usually use a LACO heat stick. This also takes a little practice to get it right. Your guy can most likely use this one or you can use a two part epoxy made for repairing small leaks in refrigeration aluminum evaporators like ALUM BOND by Mastercool. The secret to these repairs is to have a very clean area around the leak. I mean really clean! Use an emery cloth to almost polish the aluminum around the leak then wipe it down with rubbing alcohol then polish it with the emery cloth again. You'll need a small toothbrush size stainless steel wire brush. Aluminum oxide begins to form immediately so just before you apply the heat stick or epoxy brush it with the wire brush.

rickgburton

Staff member
I moved you:

DaveTX said:
rickgburton said:
DaveTX said:
https://www.applianceblog.com/mainforums/threads/62463-1949-GE-Fridge?highlight=DaveTX

I had someone try the heat stick and the angle is too tough. They tried a two part epoxy that should have worked. But still seems to leak. I'm wondering if it could be cause they discharged all the pressure in the system but pulled a vaccum while it was curing.

rickgburton said:
DaveTX said:
Rick,
You've helped me off and on on this fridge. I'm still not having any luck figuring out someone to fix it. I'm not sure where in the US you are located but is this something you would be interested in quoting me a price on repairing? I'm not sure what shipping would run but if it could be fix I'm inclined to ship it.

Otherwise - do you have any contact in TX that you know of that could make the repair?

Thanks - David
It seems to be right were the Freon tube goes into the evaporator on the bottom of that ice tray shelf. The last company that was looking at it talked to me about maybe doing a bypass and skipping the flow to that shelf. However, they have disappeared on me. So even if they told me they would try it not sure I would trust them now.

Give me the link to your original thread
Is the leak on the evaporator?

rickgburton

Staff member
It sounds like you're having a hard time finding someone that wants to do the repair. Leaks in the evaporator are not an easy repair but they're not that hard for someone that knows what he's doing. The heat stick should work. The evaporator can be removed from inside the compartment and carefully maneuvered around to get the best angle. Careful not to kink a line. I don't know what to tell you. If I lived closer I would do it.

DaveTX

Premium Member
It sounds like you're having a hard time finding someone that wants to do the repair. Leaks in the evaporator are not an easy repair but they're not that hard for someone that knows what he's doing. The heat stick should work. The evaporator can be removed from inside the compartment and carefully maneuvered around to get the best angle. Careful not to kink a line. I don't know what to tell you. If I lived closer I would do it.
Is it something you would consider doing if I shipped it to you? I know it would cost me a lot to ship. However, I've spent a total of $500 with three different people who haven't solved the problem. It isn't even about the money. I'm really gun shy now that if I keep going with people that think they can fix it and don't - that at some point they are going to mess it up where it can't be fixed.

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member
I just don't have the room for it. My shop is basically a large office with a work bench. I don't have any place to store it and city ordinance prohibits appliances in my yard. Where in Texas are you? I may have an idea.

DaveTX

Premium Member
I just don't have the room for it. My shop is basically a large office with a work bench. I don't have any place to store it and city ordinance prohibits appliances in my yard. Where in Texas are you? I may have an idea.
I'm in the DallasFortWorth area. I'm a teacher off for the summer. So if it is within driving distance of someone who could work on it - I might could borrow a truck and drive it to the them.

rickgburton

Staff member
There's three tech schools in that area, Lindsey-Cooper Refrigeration School, TECH ZONE HVAC-R (both in Irving), and Remington College - Dallas Campus. These guys are always looking for hands on experience but it's all in the timing. If you call or go down there when classes are first starting they won't have any time for you. You want to go there when there's only 2 or 3 weeks left in the course. Find out who teaches the classes on brazing or if there's just one teacher contact him and explain your problem. Leave out what's been done and how much you've paid so far. Just tell him you can't find anyone to do the repair. Tell him if the machine gets ruined that's OK. Trust me a bunch of refrigeration techs and their teacher won't ruin it. It's all in the wording. If you tell him you had all these guys out and they can't fix it and you paid so much and it still doesn't work, they won't touch it.

DaveTX

Premium Member
There's three tech schools in that area, Lindsey-Cooper Refrigeration School, TECH ZONE HVAC-R (both in Irving), and Remington College - Dallas Campus. These guys are always looking for hands on experience but it's all in the timing. If you call or go down there when classes are first starting they won't have any time for you. You want to go there when there's only 2 or 3 weeks left in the course. Find out who teaches the classes on brazing or if there's just one teacher contact him and explain your problem. Leave out what's been done and how much you've paid so far. Just tell him you can't find anyone to do the repair. Tell him if the machine gets ruined that's OK. Trust me a bunch of refrigeration techs and their teacher won't ruin it. It's all in the wording. If you tell him you had all these guys out and they can't fix it and you paid so much and it still doesn't work, they won't touch it.
Thanks for the tip...I'll give it a shot this week. The two in Irving would be pretty easy to get too.

DaveTX

Premium Member
No Luck

Keep us posted.
Rick,

Didn't have any luck with those schools.

Lindsey-Cooper Refrigeration School - shut me down pretty quick. Said they already had stuff to work on and didn't have a use for mine.

TECH ZONE HVAC-R - Said they really don't do anything with teaching about work on appliances.

Remington College - Dallas Campus - I got the name of someone to talk to. Left an voice mail but have been unable to reach him or get a return call.

I even tried asking about names of companies they work with to place their students. They didn't have any that they wanted to give me the name of.

DaveTX

Premium Member
Well, it was worth the try. It's too bad they couldn't help.
Yeah. It is pretty frustrating. I thought they at least would know of a company they deal with that might have someone but they didn't seem interested.

I wish someone active on here was from the Dallas Fort Worth area.

DaveTX

Premium Member
Try taking an add out in your local news paper. Just a thought.
I'll give that a try.

My other thought is that our school district has a career and tech center. There are 3 teachers that teach welding. I'm going to try to email them to see if they have any ideas for contacts.

AnnieOakley67

Premium Member
DaveTX,

Check out this video on YouTube by "Davida1highwaaynet".

He repairs/welds the evaporator in his vintage Frigidaire. I replaced my Crosley power plug and the wires from the compressor to the start relay after watching this guy's videos.

Annie O

[video=youtube_share;JGxgFT69uzk]https://youtu.be/JGxgFT69uzk[/video]

Last edited: