1949 Philco Refrigerator For Sale

liebnerstore

Premium Member
I have a gorgeous 1949 Philco Advanced Design refrigerator for sale.

This fridge was brought home the day after my father was born. The date was June 15th, 1949. It was brand new and a brilliant white color. Before it was plugged in, my grandfather custom painted it this burnt orange/crimson color with a little bit of "sparkle" to it. After that, it was plugged in and has been running ever since. It has had zero issues since the day it was plugged in, and has never had any parts replaced. The fridge works perfectly and was only decided to quit using it because my grandmother is now 97 years old, and moving into an assisted living facility. When we were moving it out, one of the glass shelves was sadly broken. The handle has a very pretty pattern on it, I took a close up photo of this for you to see.

This does have some normal signs of wear, a few scuffs here and there from being used over the years, but it is in really amazing shape for its' age. Please check out the photos for quality. If you would like any additional photos or have a question, just send a message!

This fridge weighs 63"X31"X27" counting the handle. This weighs an estimated 350lbs, it broke our scale at 320lbs...

We will deliver this for a gas fee. It could be shipped via freight, but it would probably cost a pretty penny to do so.

Attachments

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
That's when they were made to last! I think you will have better luck in our Buy, Sell, and Trade forum. I'll move the thread there unless you would rather leave it here.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
WOW, I like that, Rick is absolultly right, these models back then were built to last a lifetime.:)

Rick did you see his model number tag?

It says Less than 2 pounds of F-12?

I've never even heard of F-12, R-12 yes.:)

Jake

rickgburton

Staff member
They're the same thing F-12 and R-12. Dichlorodifluoromethane (R-12) was first sold under the brand name Freon 12 or F-12. This style refrigerator if fully restored to factory floor conditions sells for between $7,000.00 and $12,000.00. My grandmother had a Philco about the same age with the "V" handle in the middle of the door. The door could open right or left depending on what part of the "V" you pulled on. I was only 10 or 12 and spent hours opening and closing that door trying to figure out how they did that until I was literately banned from the kitchen that entire summer....LOL

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Very Interesting Rick, I didn't know all that.:)

I was only 10 or 12 and spent hours opening and closing that door trying to figure out how they did that until I was literately banned from the kitchen that entire summer....LOL
LOL, I got a good laugh from that!!!

That sounds like what I did with my parents old 70's Whirlpool washer, I would stay out in the garage the whole time the washer was running listening to all the cool washer sounds and wondered how they made it all work together to wash clothes, LOL.

My Mom told me to go pull weeds on our bank slope instead of watching the washer work for the whole time it was running, LOL. I hated pulling weeds!!! LOL.

Jake

rickgburton

Staff member
Your mom and mine must be related! "If you just pull the leaves off you'll be doing it again next week! You need to get the roots!!" She made it sound like if you don't weed the garden they would take over the entire yard and then the house. And the worst was, "Dad, can't we get a lawn mower with a motor on it that's self propelled. We are the only one's in the neighborhood that don't have one and this one is too hard" "Nope, you're young it will build up your muscles! Now get back out there and self propel that one across the front yard. Make motor sounds with your mouth. If it ain't done when I get home I'll have your mother make you pull weeds the rest of the week!!" The day I joined the Navy and left for boot camp He dropped me off at the airport and on the way home he stopped at Sears and bought a riding lawn mower. LOL

liebnerstore

Premium Member
This style refrigerator if fully restored to factory floor conditions sells for between $7,000.00 and $12,000.00.
Thats amazing. This fridge is in really good condition, minus the one glass shelf we broke moving it. That breaks my heart by the way! So, I'm glad it has all original parts, minus the paint job. Here are a few more photos. I am very new to this forum thing... These photos show the true color much better, it is a gorgeous shade of crimson.

I am located in Northern Michigan.

Attachments

liebnerstore

Premium Member
The date was June 15th, 1949. It was brand new and a brilliant white color. Before it was plugged in, my grandfather custom painted it this burnt orange/crimson color with a little bit of "sparkle" to it.
I should add, that my grandfather worked for Henry Ford himself. He made many of the inventions that are currently used today in modern car painting technology. We own some of the original inventions. He also invented pin-striping on cars.

My grandfather was scheduled to ride the Titanic to America, but he was running late and missed the ship. All of his inventions sank with the ship, they are now in the museum. He caught the next ship, and had to remake all his inventions when he got to USA.

I don't know if this adds any value, but it's an interesting tidbit!

meldahlr

Premium Member
(I am new here)

Great useable refrigerator for the vintage appliance nut, because it has a "real" freezer. I use the exact refrigerator in my kitchen every day. I bought mine from the original owner and ,other than a little paint wear, it looks and works like new. Hope somebody grabs this one.