1950 Coldspot Refrigerator- need to connect electrical cord

edw927

Premium Member
Model Number: 106.D9G-B1
Brand: Sears Kenmore

The electrical cord to my refrigerator got snagged on something and pulled loose from the refrigerator itself. I thought it should be easy to rewire it, but I have not been able to figure it out. I've also had an electrician and an appliance repair person out who can't figure it out. The box the wires would go into is the same box where the wires go to connect the compressor. It is clear where to attach the wires from the cord. The cord has black, white and green wires. I know the green wire. I know the green wire would not be used since these old refrigerators are not grounded. There are too many choices of places to attach the other wires. There is a wire hanging down from inside the back of the refrigerator that looks gray- it probably used to be white. I will post pictures. You will see what looks like a black wire connected to a metal plate in the box. That wire is actually red. It has just been wrapped in electrical tape. There is actually someone else in this forum who has a picture posted that is very similar to mine, but his thumb covers what I need to see.relay2.jpgrefrigerator cord.jpgrefrigerator broken parts.jpg

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
That's the "hot wire" relay. Some of the posts on the relay are dummy posts used to connect two wires and not part of the relay. It's wired different from brand to brand. One side of the power cord connects to the wire going to the common terminal on the compressor, probably a black wire, and one side of the light bulb. The other side of the power cord will connect to the door switch and one side of the cold control. It's probably the wire hanging down in the back.

edw927

Premium Member
Wiring electric cord to Coldspot Refrigerator

That's the "hot wire" relay. Some of the posts on the relay are dummy posts used to connect two wires and not part of the relay. It's wired different from brand to brand. One side of the power cord connects to the wire going to the common terminal on the compressor, probably a black wire, and one side of the light bulb. The other side of the power cord will connect to the door switch and one side of the cold control. It's probably the wire hanging down in the back.
OK, I want to try to understand what you said before I attempt to do anything that actually damages the refrigerator. When you say something is a "hot wire" relay, are you referring to the whole black box that the wiring goes into? I know that the wiring to the compressor is OK, nothing there got disconnected. I made reference to the red wire that looks black (because it is wrapped in electrical tape) that is attached by an screw to a metal plate in the relay. Is that wire in the right place? I understand what you are saying about the black wire attaching to the common terminal for the compressor. Those are already attached that way. I do not know what to do with the cord with the terminal on the end that probably used to be white, but is now gray. It must attach to something.
Then I have the black and white wire that are part of the electrical cord that needs to be wired in. Now if you look at a post made by member "nonconform", he/she shows a very similar relay. What I noticed in it is that there is a black cord also attached to the terminal where the red wire is attached. I don't know if I should attach my black one there unless I am sure. Combining something with a red wire just doesn't seem smart unless I know it is the right thing to do.

I understand that by dummy posts you mean there are posts that aren't used for anything. I am wondering though if the white wire from the power cord would be attached to one of those. You could see my picture of the little parts that broke off, so obviously I do not have terminals for the wires in the power cord to attach to the screw. Or I realize I could just get some little terminals and run the wiring into them. Either way though I need to understand where to connect them.

rickgburton

Staff member
The box is the hot wire relay. Because each relay is wired different I can't tell by just looking at your relay which terminals are used for what. If the wires on your compressor are black, red. and white, follow the black wire back to the hot wire relay and connect one side of the power cord (BLK wire or L1) to the same post. The other side of the power cord (white wire or N) may or may not be connected to a dummy post on the relay but it's connected to the cold control. The other side of the cold control comes back to the hot wire relay. When the cold control is closed the relay has 120 VAC supply voltage for the compressor. If you have a light bulb in the refrigerator the black wire from the compressor and the L1 black wire from the power cord will have a third wire also connected to the same post on the relay that goes to the light bulb through the door switch. The other side of the light bulb (N) is connected to the white wire in the power cord but it may be connected to the same terminal on the cold control. Here's a wiring diagram I made for replacing the hot wire relay with a solid state relay. The wiring is basicly the same. The other two wires from the compressor connected to the relay don't have any other wires connected to them.
Hotwire to Solid State no fan.jpg

edw927

Premium Member
Rewiring power cord to Coldspot refrigerator

I basically understand what you are saying. I am going to get a couple of ring terminals tomorrow so I can crimp the wires back into them for easier connection. As you can see from my picture of the two broken connections with the ring terminals attached, there were two separate wires that were attached, but now aren't. As far as the color wires for the compressor, they are actually all covered in a thick black rubberized coating so I can't actually see the colors. Realize that I am working by laying on the floor looking up into the back of the refrigerator. I will check and see if I can get a glimpse of the colors. The reason the relay is more visible is because I reached up inside the back panel of the refrigerator and unbolted the relay box so it could hang down so I could see it. I have taken the screws out of the back panel of the refrigerator, but it did not seem easy to remove. I will work more about trying to removed the back panel so I can see things better. I just didn't want to damage or bend the metal in my attempts to do so. Thanks.

rickgburton

Staff member
Here's a few hot wire relays and how they are wired. They look different but are wired the same way:
Hot wire relays wiring.jpg

edw927

Premium Member
I think I need to get the back panel off the refrigerator so I can see where all the wires go. In your diagrams that show which posts the wires from the cord are attached, it looks like the white wire is going to the common post with the compressor, rather than the black. Tomorrow I will get the ring terminals to attach the wires to, then see if I can get that back panel off the refrigerator to get a better look at the wires- and their colors.

rickgburton

Staff member
it looks like the white wire is going to the common post with the compressor, rather than the black.
It doesn't matter which wire, black or white.

edw927

Premium Member
OK, I just thought someone said the black wire carries the current, and the white is neutral. Maybe it doesn't matter since the refrigerator isn't grounded. I will have to review your picture because I know I still have the white wire hanging down form inside the refrigerator that needs to attach to something.

edw927

Premium Member
Connecting wiring in Coldspot Refrigerator

Ok in starting fresh today, I haven't gotten out to buy the ring terminals yet, but I have been examining the refrigerator more. The back panel does not seem like it would be a reasonable thing to try to get off. There are three wires coming down from the refrigerator. One is the red wire (which is covered in black electrical tape. It is screwed into the metal plate in the relay. It is the only thing attached to that port. There is a black wire coming down that is attached to the same post as the condensor (the common post), but there is a white wire with ring terminal already attached that comes down and is attached to nothing. If I can start by attaching the wiring that is actually within the refrigerator before getting into attaching the electrical cord that would be helpful. In looking at the last set of diagrams you sent me, mine is like the third- the one off by itself. I have posts 1,2,3. The black wire coming down from inside the refrigerator and one of the wires from the compressor are attached to post #3. The red wire from the refrigerator (that is covered by black electrical tape) is connected to post L. The other two wires that go to the compressor are connected one to post M and one to post S. So The questions remains- the one white wire coming down from the refrigerator, where should it be connected? If I can't get that part right then I should be able to attach the power cord correctly.

edw927

Premium Member
At this point I don't care how stupid I sound. I am still struggling with this refrigerator. I have examined the diagrams you sent. They make sense to me. It just doesn't work when I try to work on the refrigerator. Let me explain. When the cord first got pulled loose from the back of the refrigerator, the broken wires with the ring terminals were still attached inside the relay. At that point I didn't realize how important it would be to remember exactly how they were attached when I removed them. I removed them to allow the electricians who were coming to start fresh. I had no idea that neither the electricians, nor the refrigerator repair man would not know what to do. So I decided to fix it myself, and you have been very helpful. Here is what I have done to date. I did get new ring terminals and crimped the wires into the new ring terminals. I was going to go by the pictures you sent. I attached the white wire from the power cord, and the white cord hanging down from the refrigerator to one of the dummy posts through use of the ring terminals. Everything in the diagram showed that there are three wires going to the same post as the black wire from the refrigerator and the one from the compressor. So it made sense that I would just connect the black wire from the power cord to that same post, then there would be the three wires attached to the same post. The problem that I ran into is that the post those ring terminals does not seem to come out. I don't mean it won't turn when I try to unscrew it, it turns, but never comes out. Since I was the one who originally moved the connections, I'm assuming if I can't get that post out now, I couldn't have gotten it in then. Each time I have tried a new connection, I have tried plugging in the refrigerator, and it doesn't work. Theoretically it seems like that black wire from the power cord should connect to that post with the other two connections, but i am doubting that in practicality since the post doesn't unscrew.

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, take some pictures of the wires behind the machine, including the wires on the compressor and the wires coming out of the cabinet and the wires on the relay. Take some wide shots and some close shots. Open the door and take a couple pictures of the inside of the refrigerator. They don't need to be close ups. If you can get the entire inside in one shot, good. Post the pictures here and let me take a look at what I'm dealing with.

edw927

Premium Member
OK, of course in my first post I included some pictures, but I can try to get more. Do I need to get the back panel off of the refrigerator? I think that would only be possible if I gently lay it on its front, because the shape of it is like and upside down "U", and it is encased in a trim that goes over that. I had already taken the screws out, but then I realized that because of the shape of it, the only way to get the back panel off would be to slide it down. Even that won't be easy because I had previously painted it with a high grade appliance epoxy so it is also sort of "painted" in place. So let me know if I need to get that back panel off.

I can get a good view of the wiring by laying down and looking up into the refrigerator. Of course once the wires go up through the panel that would be at the base of the actual structure, I can't see where they go to then. Besides the pictures, I can easily make a diagram. It is clear that the three wires that go to the compressor go straight into the top of the compressor. I can touch them, and I can touch the top of the compressor. There are three wires coming down from inside the refrigerator. The one is the red wire that in the original picture looked shiny black because of the black electrical tape on it. Since then I have re-wrapped it in red electrical tape.

I don't know if this will work out right or not. Since I can't directly email you, and I don't know how to copy and paste an email to this message without losing the images, I am attempting to copy and paste text from the email I had sent to someone else seeking help, then insert pictures via this website. These are images that I already had. I will take the other pictures for you tomorrow. Thanks.

This is a Coldspot refrigerator from Sears that was made in 1950. Everything had been working fine until the electrical cord got snagged on something and pulled the wires loose from the relay. My concern is how to reconnect wiring safely. The relay may have been replaced at some time because it is a whirlpool model 5396588. You can call, or email me especially depending on if you need to show me pictures of how to connect things. My phone number is 765-378-7795,

I will insert pictures so I can explain them:

• This is the cord to the refrigerator once it had been torn loose. I understand that the green wire would not be connected to anything since the Refrigerator would not be grounded.

The question is where and how to reconnect the black and white wires.

refrigerator cord.jpg

These are the two parts where the wires from the cord would have attached. I would have just spliced the wires, but it was obvious that wires coming out of the terminal had been shredded too badly.

refrigerator broken parts.jpg

This is the relay with some of the wires attached. When I was not sure where to connect the wires safely I called an electrician. They also could not figure it out. I do not know if they moved any of the wires from their original positions. You will see a black wire heading off to the right. It goes with the two other black wires at the right edge of the picture. Those all go to the condenser. The shiny black wire you see coming down and being attached to a metal plate is actually the red wire. It is just wrapped in electrical tape. The black wire coming straight down is attached to the same terminal as the black wire leading to the condenser. They gray looking wire in my hand is not currently attached to anything. You see two screws underneath that. I do not know which screw to connect that wire to. The other issue as you can see from the top picture is reattaching the electrical cord which has both a white and black wire to be reattached.

relay2.jpg

So the questions are:

1. which screw do I attach the gray wire with the terminal attached to?
2. Which screws do I attach the black and white wire from the cord to?
3. Does it matter if I just wrap the wiring under the screws since the terminals that were once attached to them have been torn off?

rickgburton

Staff member
You're getting way to far ahead and it's not necessary to keep repeating the same thing over and over. You don't need to lay it down or remove any panels. Just take a few pictures of the back and front. That's all. I already know what the end of a power cord looks like and I know what a wire end looks like.

edw927

Premium Member
Pictures:

Refrigerator front- kick plate was taken off so I could find serial number

View attachment 25868

Inside of Refrigerator- door switch is located on inner frame about 2/3 of the way down. Light bulb under freezer compartment (which currently has the door off)

View attachment 25869

Back of refrigerator showing access panel at bottom

View attachment 25870

Looking into access panel

View attachment 25871

Relay box- serious of three black wires leading off to compressor- one is attached to#3 dummy post along with black wire coming down from inside refrigerator. This is the post that I could not remove. Red wire coming down from refrigerator is attached to screw on metal plate. White cord hanging down is not connected to anything.

View attachment 25872

Hole in bottom of refrigerator panel where wires emerge into access panel.

View attachment 25873

Last edited:

edw927

Premium Member
Coldspot Refrigerator wiring- more pictures

Wires coming down through access department

refrigerator wires descending.jpg

Compressor with wires

refrigerator compressor with wires.jpg

Another view of relay where you can see attachment of compressor wires and two black wires attached to dummy screw 3

refrigerator relay 3.jpg

Another view of relay

refrigerator relay 4.jpg

Electrical cord with new ring terminals attached

refrigerator cord with terminals.jpg

rickgburton

Staff member
None of the pictures came through in post 15. Are there just 3 wires coming out of the cabinet?
refrigerator wires descending.jpg

edw927

Premium Member
Yes, there are three wires coming down from the cabinet. The red one attached to the metal plate, the black one attached to the same post as the one of the wires from compressor, and white wire attached to nothing right now. Let me just attempt posting pictures again.refrigerator front.jpgrefrigerator inside.jpgrefrigerator back.jpgrefrigerator access panel.jpg

I will send more pictures next.

rickgburton

Staff member
edw927 said:
The problem that I ran into is that the post those ring terminals does not seem to come out. I don't mean it won't turn when I try to unscrew it, it turns, but never comes out.
You may have have disconnected the relay inside the box. Between pulling the wires off and disconnecting the relay inside, the hot wire relay may be damaged but it's not a problem. We will find out as we go. Follow each one of these steps exactly as I have them. This isn't hard to do so take your time and write down any measurements. If you have any questions as we go just ask, don't guess.

STEP 1
Turn the cold control to the off position and remove the light bulb inside the refrigerator.

STEP 2
Remove the three wires on the relay going to the compressor and mark them as I've indicated in the diagram
01.jpg

STEP 3
Remove the other two wires on the relay coming from the cabinet
02.jpg

STEP 4
At this point there should be no wires connected to the hot wire relay. Set your meter to check ohms on the lowest scale, R x 1. On the relay, measure the resistance between the two screws where compressor wire #3 and #2 were connected. Write it down.
03.jpg

STEP 5
Measure the resistance on the relay between A-B, C-B, D-B and A-C. Write them down and set the relay off to the side for now.
04.jpg

STEP 6
Leave the meter on the same ohms scale and measure from each of the 3 wires coming from the cabinet to a ground or cabinet screw. Your meter should indicate 1 or open for all three wires. Anything other than 1 or open STOP and let me know. If all three measurements are 1 or open go to step 7

STEP 7
I labeled the wires coming from the cabinet 1=white 2=black and 3= the wire with the red tape around it. Connect your meter to #1-white wire and #3- red tape. Your meter should indicate 1 or open. Turn the cold control to the on position. Your meter should indicate 0 or closed.
05.jpg

STEP 8
Turn the cold control to the OFF position and replace the light bulb in the light socket. Make sure it is a good working light bulb. Connect your meter to wires #1 and #2 from cabinet. Meter should indicate 1 or open. Push the door switch in. Meter should indicate 0 or a .02 or a .01 or 0.0
06.jpg

Don't worry if the measurements are not exactly the same. I'm only checking where the wires are going. Post back your results.