1950 GE combination fridge wiring problem - Model NH-10-GC

sparkie_lucas

Premium Member
Hey guys i am having a problem with my 1950 GE combination fridge. My problem is that the fridge will turn on and get cold and the freezer will get down to -15F if i let it. But the compressor wont shut off. I have already replaced the condenser fan and freezer control trying to fix problem and i have used a RO41 relay for a new relay/overload for a 1/4 HP compressor but the relay gets too hot and compressor still does not turn off. I tried using a RCO210 relay for a 1/2HP compressor thinking it would help but still same problem. Attached are some pictures of the fridge and parts i replaced, along with the wiring diagram that i was giving for using to RO41 relay and a wiring diagram of exactly how i wired the relay in. hopefully someone can help me.

thanks in advance

Lucas

Attachments

• hotwire actual.jpg
    hotwire actual.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 76
  • Hotwire to Solid State.jpg
    Hotwire to Solid State.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 143
  • fridge freezer controler.jpg
    fridge freezer controler.jpg
    393.5 KB · Views: 62
  • GE fridge.jpg
    GE fridge.jpg
    417.3 KB · Views: 75
  • GE model number.jpg
    GE model number.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 58
  • Old relay 1-4 HP.jpg
    Old relay 1-4 HP.jpg
    359.7 KB · Views: 55
  • RO41 diagram.jpg
    RO41 diagram.jpg
    533 KB · Views: 50
  • RO41.jpg
    RO41.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 60
  • ridge original wiring diagram.jpg
    ridge original wiring diagram.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 66
  • system tag.jpg
    system tag.jpg
    449.4 KB · Views: 62

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The problem is not the relay. That machine only has one cooling system. Is there an evaporator in the refrigerator section?

rickgburton

Staff member
So no there is no evaporator that I have seen. I'm still learning.
On your machine, the freezer section is the evaporator. Some of the older machines used a secondary evaporator in the refrigerator section. Open the refrigerator. Is there a metal plate or similar on the back wall?

sparkie_lucas

Premium Member
On your machine, the freezer section is the evaporator. Some of the older machines used a secondary evaporator in the refrigerator section. Open the refrigerator. Is there a metal plate or similar on the back wall?
Are you talking about just opening the door? Or opening that back panel? Dont see anything when opening the fridge door. Attached is pics of the back panel. And a metal tag in the back panel. Dont think that is what you are looking for tho.

Attachments

• 0425191718.jpg
    0425191718.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 0425191658d.jpg
    0425191658d.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 0425191757.jpg
    0425191757.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 0425191934.jpg
    0425191934.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 46

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Some of the older machines used a secondary evaporator in the refrigerator section. Open the refrigerator [door]. Is there a metal plate or similar on the back wall?

What Rick is referring to, some older models used a 'chill plate' inside the refrigerator compartment to cool there. Sometimes it was just tubing serpentine on the ceiling inside the refrigerator compartment.

NH10GC-evap.jpg

(I looked up that model's parts list but unfortunately they don't have illustrations of the sealed refrigeration system to see if either is the case with this one. Being a 2-door refrigerator, it should have part of the evaporator in there.)

Dan O.

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member
I'm still learning.
sparkie, my friend, this is not the machine you want to learn on. I think you're a little over your head. No disrespect intended, but at this point I think you need a professional to take a look at it.

G

This refrigerator has two separate refrigeration systems. The primary system cools the freezer compartment only and is controlled by the electric cold control dial that's at the bottom of the fridge behind the kick panel that opens like a door. The secondary refrigeration system cools the fresh food compartment only. The thumb wheel cold control dial on the back wall of the fresh food compartment is a valve that controls the flow of refrigerant through the secondary system to maintain the temperature in the fresh food compartment only. You will see on the tag that you posted a picture of it says primary system charge and secondary system charge. That's why. The cooling tubes are behind the walls of the fresh food compartment and that's why you don't see a cold plate or anything in the fresh food compartment. The secondary system somehow gives up its heat, pulled from the fresh food compartment, to the primary system. I don't understand how it works, but that's the set up you have in this refrigerator. It's a complicated system. I would suggest asking about this refrigerator on The Monitor Top Refrigerator Forum under the "other vintage refrigerator" tab. I believe there's people who are more familiar with this type of refrigerator there. As far as getting a professional to look at it, don't bother. They'll have absolutely no idea of what they're looking at or how to even begin to fix it!!

sparkie_lucas

Premium Member
This refrigerator has two separate refrigeration systems. The primary system cools the freezer compartment only and is controlled by the electric cold control dial that's at the bottom of the fridge behind the kick panel that opens like a door. The secondary refrigeration system cools the fresh food compartment only. The thumb wheel cold control dial on the back wall of the fresh food compartment is a valve that controls the flow of refrigerant through the secondary system to maintain the temperature in the fresh food compartment only. You will see on the tag that you posted a picture of it says primary system charge and secondary system charge. That's why. The cooling tubes are behind the walls of the fresh food compartment and that's why you don't see a cold plate or anything in the fresh food compartment. The secondary system somehow gives up its heat, pulled from the fresh food compartment, to the primary system. I don't understand how it works, but that's the set up you have in this refrigerator. It's a complicated system. I would suggest asking about this refrigerator on The Monitor Top Refrigerator Forum under the "other vintage refrigerator" tab. I believe there's people who are more familiar with this type of refrigerator there. As far as getting a professional to look at it, don't bother. They'll have absolutely no idea of what they're looking at or how to even begin to fix it!!

looks like the two systems just touch each other and that is how the heat is transferred to the main system. i dont have a picture of it right now. but when i get home ill send one out.