1950's Frigidaire Refrigerator thermostat

Ksharpe

Premium Member
This is my first time on this site. I have an old 1950's frigidaire that I have never had any issues with. All of sudden it started freezing everything solid. I turned it off completely and let it defrost. Turned back on and put on lowest setting and it still froze all the drinks. From everything I read it seems to be the thermostat. I'm not sure if that is the problem and if so, there are so many different ones I'm not sure which one to get. The number on the part in my fridge is 0519. Picture below. I would appreciate any help or feedback.
Thank you. thermostat.jpg

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
The model number is stamped in black ink on the rear of the refrigerator. Post that model number and I'll look up to see if a replacement thermostat is still available.

Dan O.

Ksharpe

Premium Member
You may have to zoom in if possible. It's the best picture I could find. The numbers read 5850247 in the first square and then it reads 1607219. I hope this helps!

model number fridge.jpg

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I’m afraid it doesn’t. As I said the model number is stamped in black ink on the back of the fridge.

Dan O.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Ksharpe said:

AR-60 is a 1952 model.

I'm afraid the thermostat for it is discontinued and is NLA. I couldn't find any still available but you can try searching for any of these part numbers as any of them should work for your fridge. Most recent # 5309948865 replaces previous #'s 09948865, 9948865, 06580992 and 6580992. Maybe someone's got old stock of one kicking around? They come up occasionally on eBay. One was sold on eBay Nov. 11th and another in Sept. 29th.

Dan O.

Last edited:

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
BTW. I notice a 3-52 on the pic of the tag you posted. It is very possibly the actual manufacturing date.

Frigidaire GM AR-60 model number fridge.jpg

Dan O.

Ksharpe

Premium Member
I read that somewhere but wasn't sure. I am having the hardest time finding a replacement thermostat. I don't know anything about this stuff (as far as mechanically). Is there a replacement part that can be used that is not an original? I just want to get it working again!
Thank you!
Kelly

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Ksharpe said:
I read that somewhere but wasn't sure.

Are you referring to the date? It jives with the general model date I stated, so is likely accurate.

Ksharpe said:
I am having the hardest time finding a replacement thermostat.

I told you it is discontinued and no longer available. You can't just buy one unless you can find someone getting rid of old stock or maybe finding a used one. eBay is the most likely place. Keep checking.

Ksharpe said:
Is there a replacement part that can be used that is not an original?

There may be an aftermarket 'universal' thermostat by Ranco or other manufacturer that could be used to replace it, I however don't know what it is or I would have said so. Someone, somewhere might have a cross reference to a suitable repacement. I'm afraid I don't know who. Sorry.

Dan O.

Last edited: