1950's GE Electric range thermostat

anna marie

Premium Member
I am looking for someone to rebuild my thermostat. The Old Appliance Club no longer does this. I purchased a thermostat from Buckeye Appliance in California. The repairman here in Oregon won't install it as he says it's not original to the stove and the newer thermostat when installed will change the UL (?)and it is a liability for him. Any thoughts?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Although mostly about gas controls, the following company does rebuild some electric thermostats. You can try asking them about the one on your range.

LINK > RePco Replacement Parts, Inc.

BTW. Did the Old Appliance Club say they stopped doing all thermostats or just your style?

PS. If you post the range's model number or thermostat's part number, someone here might be able to help locate old stock or maybe a used working one.

Dan O.

anna marie

Premium Member
Hi Dan! Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure where the model # or thermostat parts number is. I'll try to scoot this behemoth away from the wall and see if there is some identifying number somewhere on the backside. I truly appreciate the link to the possible rebuild company. I have looked on the internet till I'm crosseyed trying to find someone to rebuild an electric thermostat. Regarding the OAC.... I have emailed twice in the last 6 months and both times the answer was the same. They quit rebuilding them because they could no longer get parts. I'm assuming this is for the electric thermostats only. He had no referrals for me. He said to check eBay. eBay listings only have replacement thermostats, which I already have. And is what the repairman won't install because it is not original to the stove and changes the UL, whatever that means.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
anna marie said:
I'm not sure where the model # or thermostat parts number is.
While it might not cover all antique models, you can find tips for locating the model and serial number identification tag on most appliance types at the following link:

LINK > Model Number Tag Location Guide

The part itself should have numbering stamped on its body. Hopefully it will include an actual part number and not just its electrical ratings.

anna marie said:
He said to check eBay. eBay listings only have replacement thermostats, which I already have.
How were you searching for the correct part without a part number or a model number??

Dan O.

anna marie

Premium Member
I was looking for someone to rebuild the old thermostat. I was told by TOAC a rebuild would be way better than an "aftermarket" thermostat. I was hoping to send mine in to be rebuilt but I couldn't find anyone. I took off the knob and took pictures to Buckeye Appliance in Stockton California. He sold me a thermostat he said would work and would match up to the original knob when replacing, but it was from a newer model. The repairman said it would probably work, but check the accuracy with an oven thermometer. But he also said since it wasn't original to the stove he wouldn't replace it as it would change the UL.