1950's GE Liberator stove

ejystove

Premium Member
I have a 1950's GE Liberator stove. The oven only works on very high--like 450 all the time. I have a Stratoliner (also 1950's GE stove) that I am hoping will become an organ donor for the Liberator. I noticed that the wire coming from the oven temperature control on the Stratoliner seems to be just a cooper wire. Does this seem like complete thermostat for a 1950's stove? If it does, can I just pull that cooper wire out of the stove and then remove the thermostat--I am calling the temperature knob for the oven as the thermostat.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I have a 1950's GE Liberator stove... I have a Stratoliner (

Those marketing nanes mean absolutely nothing in identifying the products. Only their exact model number from their identification tags will help. I suggest you post that information if you want any meaningful help.

the wire coming from the oven temperature control on the Stratoliner seems to be just a cooper wire.

A thermostat will have a sensor bulb attached to it that feeds down into the oven cavity to actually sense the temperature. The thermostat will also have electrical connections. Some older GE models used a redimentary electronic control system with a sensor, rheostat type device, relay and possibly other components too.

We could likely find out for certain what system is used with the proper identification of the products involved.

Dan O.

ejystove

Premium Member
I believe the part number for the thermostat is 600149. I am very new to this, so thanks for letting me know what info I need to provide.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I'm afraid both those numbers are incomplete. There will be at least one more letter after what you posted
and at least one more number after that ( J-402 _ _)

Also, if these are double oven models you need be specific about which oven's parts you're pursuing.

I can not trace # 600149.

Dan O.

ejystove

Premium Member
This is the thermostat in the Stratoliner.
Can this thermostat be used in the Liberator and if so, how is the cooper wire with the sensor on the end that is in the oven pulled through the back of the oven without being injured?

Attachments

• Thermostat.jpg
    Thermostat.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 42

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Ell-Kl Liberator
D21-K1 Stratoliner

Those aren't even close to what you originally posted! I hope you're getting them directly off the appliances in question otherwise you're wasting my time.

If those are really the appliances involved, the RH oven thermostat from the model Ell-Kl should be the same as the thermostat on the D21-K1 model.

ejystove said:
how is the cooper wire with the sensor on the end that is in the oven pulled through the back of the oven without being injured?

Very carefully. The tubing (not wire!) can be bent but if you crimp that tubing it would likely be damaged beyond repair. I can not tell you exactly how to go about it on your model. It's likely held securely by some sort of clip, away from the oven wall, inside the oven and the hole it goes through in the oven liner might have a cover that needs to be loosened, slid aside or removed first. Someone will have to look at it.

Dan O.

Last edited:

ejystove

Premium Member
The tubing (not wire!) can be bent but if you crimp that tubing it would likely be damaged beyond repair. I can not tell you exactly how to go about it on your model. It's likely held securely by some sort of clip, away from the oven wall, inside the oven and the hole it goes through in the oven liner might have a cover that needs to be loosened, slid aside or removed first. Someone will have to look at it.

Dan O.
Does the tube have a liquid in it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
The sensor bulb is filled with gas that expands when heated, expanding the bellows inside the thermostat body to trip electrical contact(s).

image.jpeg

Dan O.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Not if you want any hope of maintaining its proper functions. (They are calibrated when assembled.) I strongly suggest you not attempt it on a working part if you want to keep it working.

If you just want to inspect the defective component, I'm sure i can be.

Dan O.

ejystove

Premium Member
It seems like the back of the Liberator stove is part of the sides of the stove. Does anyone have any insight on how to get the back of the stove off?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I've never seen such a thing. Can you post photos?

If the back doesn't come off, the thermostat capillary must go into the oven cavity from a different direction, maybe down from the top? Post photos of the capillary tube inside the oven cavity as well.

Dan O.

ejystove

Premium Member
How do I test the push button controls for the burners ? The burners are already taken out and so are not attached to the push button controls.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I do not know how (or if even possible) to 'bench test' element switches. Normally power could be tested for at the element, on the different settings. Either 240 or 120 volts would be supplied between the common wire and each of the other element wires depending on the setting.

Dan O.