1950's GE Refrigerator restore

grossolj

Premium Member
Good morning! I am new to this forum and looking for a little bit of help. We came into what i believe is a 1950's GE refrigerator in wonderful running shape. My goal is to redo the paint and leave the compressor untouched as it works great. I have gotten most of it carefully disassembled but am stuck on getting the freezer/ice box section out. I want to do this to minimize the movement of that and do a good job painting the main body. I am stuck at getting the freezer section out. Does anyone have any advice or tips?

Thanks,
Len

Thanks
IMG-1911.jpg
IMG-1864.jpg

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
grossolj said:
am stuck on getting the freezer/ice box section out
You can't! It's attached with refrigerant lines to the compressor. Even trying to move it slightly could rupture those refrigerant lines and pretty much turn it into scrap. .

If you're just painting the exterior, why would you want to remove it anyway?

Dan O.

grossolj

Premium Member
Thanks for the response! My goal was to be able to maneuver the whole fridge or send it to a body shop for paint without worry about hurting the compressor and inner workings. But if it cant be separated I will just do my best as it is.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
grossolj said:
send it to a body shop for paint without worry about hurting the compressor and inner workings.
They can easily mask off the whole interior... which they're going to have to do anyway.

If you want to try to avoid damage to the compressor, ship the fridge upright with the least amount of jostling as possible.

JMO

Dan O.

grossolj

Premium Member
I appreciate it! I will attach the back without messing with it any more. I have ordered a new gasket, and plan on painting the exterior. I also have given consideration to adding a new cord. Is there anything else that should be done before painting?

Thanks again!!

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Not that I can think of. You might want to tape over any identification tags so they don't get painted over.

Dan O.