1950s GE Wall Oven

50s chik

I have a mid 50s GE wall oven that I haven't been able to get fixed. When I can get it to turn on, I can't get it to shut off without going to the basement and shutting it down at the fuse box. I can't find where the model # is. I'm in my 50's, can't pull it out myself. Want to know how to go about replacing it, but have heard from several people that finding a new wall oven that's the same size is next to impossible. I've been without an oven for 3 years now, on a limited income, and not sure what to do. Can anyone give me some tips?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
How wide is it?

The smallest built-in oven I've seen in the last twenty+ years is 24" wide. If it is narrower the options are likely repair it or redo the kitchen to accept a larger model. There might be a slim chance of finding a used smaller wall oven from when someone else has remodeled their kitchen. Ask at local used appliance dealer.

If replacing it, the most critical dimensions will be the 'cut out' it fits into. To get that measurement the oven will likely need to be slid out 4-6" but not removed totally. There are usually 2-4 screws through the front of the oven securing it to the cabinets behind.

Oven-cutout.jpg

As to repairing it, that will depend on which part(s) is causing the problem. Many of the parts will likely not be available for that age of product and without an actual model number will likely be impossible to even look into their availability.

Maybe look into a counter top microwave/convection or toaster oven? You might even find a builtin model of those that could replace an unusually small wall oven but even those are likely to be $1,000-$2,000.

JMO

Dan O.