1950's or 1960's Old Imperial Fridge B148F2 cools intermittently

dwoolley

Premium Member
Hi,
I have an old Imperial fridge that I think is from the 50's or 60's. I'm not sure if it is one of those old Frigidaire Imperial refrigerators since I don't see Frigidaire anywhere on the unit. The fridge cools intermittently. I've tested the continuity of the following parts and they have passed the continuity test: Condenser, defrost thermostat, refrigerator thermostat.

I think the bad part is the defrost timer. I took a screwdriver and turned the timer and it ran for a little while. I checked and both freezer and fridge were cool and then when I came back again later it was back to being room temperature. Another note, I felt the condenser and it was hot which I thought was weird.

Does that sound like the defrost timer to you guys as well? I also can't for the life of me find parts for this unit. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Last edited:

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
60's. I'm not sure if it is one of those old Frigidaire Imperial refrigerators since I don't see Frigidaire anywhere on the unit.
If it doesn't say Frigidaire it likely isn't. I also don't recognize the model number.

The fridge cools intermittently. I've tested the continuity of the following parts and they have passed the continuity test: Condenser, defrost thermostat, refrigerator thermostat.
You tested the continuity while the problem was occurring?

I don't know how you tested the condenser. It is just a coil of tubing and has no electric components.

Another note, I felt the condenser and it was hot which I thought was weird.
The condenser shouldn't be hot without the compressor running. Are you sure you're not referring to the compressor??

I also can't for the life of me find parts for this unit.
If you need parts you'll likely have to post all the numbers found on the original part to see if they can be traced.

BTW. Frost free refrigerators (with defrost timers) weren't in use until the 1960's so it's unlikely to be older than that.

Dan O.

dwoolley

Premium Member
Sorry, I misspoke. I meant the compressor lol. I'll pull the timer and see if it has a part number on it. Maybe I'll get lucky.

dwoolley

Premium Member
@Dan O. I just pulled the defrost timer and tested the continuity. This also passed a continuity test. So, if the defrost timer, compressor, cold control, and defrost thermostat are all good what would be causing my fridge to work intermittently? I'm not sure what else to test.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
If the compressor is getting warm it means it IS getting power. If the compressor IS getting power, the timer and thermostat (aka cold control) are doing their job. The defrost thermostat (and defrost heater) has nothing to do with the compressor operation so they can be left alone.

If the compressor is getting power but not running, either its relay (or start capacitor, if used) may be malfunction or the compressor is defective (regardless if it has continuity). If the compressor ever runs to produce cooling, the compressor starting relay/capacitor may be most suspect.

It is unlikely a faulty compressor would produce intermittent functioning so if it ever operates properly, it may be Ok.

Dan O.

Last edited: