1950's Vintage Kelvinator Model C-7-R

Riomelton

Premium Member
Hello all. This is my first post to this forum. I inherited my father-in-law's Kelvinator, Model C-7-R. I think it is from the 1950's. The refrigerator runs great. However, I need to locate a handle since the one on the refrigerator is broken. I also need to find some new door seals. Would anyone have a recommendation for where I can locate a handle? I know they are hard to find and have tried the obvious locations such as Craigslist, EBay, etc. without any success. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I love vintage appliances and want to enjoy this unit for many years to come. Thanks sincerely. Riomelton

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
It's extremely unlikely you'll find another handle. You can periodically check eBay for either a used handle or another whole fridge you can buy to scrap for parts. On eBay you can 'save this search' and eBay will email you when new items matching your search are added. You can also check with some of the "Restoration category web sites listed here, just don't hold your breath.

LINK > Appliance Links

For the gasket you can the following. They have a couple different styles of gasket material available for older fridges.

LINK > Antique Appliances : Store

or

LINK > Coldsupply: Gaskets

Dan O.

Last edited:

Riomelton

Premium Member
Thank you much Dan O. for the information. It is extremely helpful. Do you or anyone have a recommendation for the insulation within the door? it seems like the current insulation is a wax type thick paper. Can you recommend something to replace? Can I use a house wall type insulation? I appreciate the assistance.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I don't know what was originally used on that age of product. I would think regular household insulation should work. Do remember that it shouldn't be compressed so be sure to try to find the correct thickness.

While not really about your type of refrigerator, this YouTube video shows the door insulation for a marine refrigerator. It shows an alternative insulation type and suggests some R values to strive for.

Dan O.

Sandxssun

Premium Member
Hello Riomelton,
I disagree, handles are not that hard to find. The thing is, you have to change your perception of how they are located and sold. First, almost no one parts them out so you’re not likely to find one online. The key is, you have to buy the whole dang parts frig or nothing!
I found two parts frig’s the day after I bought my late ‘40s Kelvinator. one was early 50’s, one was early 40’s. Mine might me a C-7R or an M-7. So, I might have an extra door handle. I also bought a 100ft roll of period style door seal. Let me know if you’re interested. I would need see inside and outside pics of yours, if so.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Sandxssun said:
First, almost no one parts them out so you’re not likely to find one online.

I disagree with you. You just have to know how to refine your search... and be patient.

LINK > Vintage Refrigerator Door handles

However, there have been hundreds of different handles utilized over the years and they're seldom interchangeable. Finding your exact replacement is a pretty daunting challenge.

Sandxssun said:
The key is, you have to buy the whole dang parts frig or nothing!

I did also say that also but again, you have to find another similar model as hundreds of different handles were used over the years (even on the same brand) and they're seldom interchangeable. And at least on Frigidaire models, the handles are even different between LH and RH opening doors!

JFYI

Dan O.

Last edited:

Sandxssun

Premium Member
Well Dan O., it doesn’t look like you want people disagreeing with you. My comment was directed to the gentleman looking for a 40’s Kelvinator door handle, not you. So I’m not sure why you’re making any further comment. In fact, you are definitely incorrect in your comment to me.
So, you start off saying to him, “It's extremely unlikely you'll find another handle.” Then you say at the end, “...don’t hold your breath“ on finding another handle. I’m sorry, that is flat out Wrong! What, are you trying to discourage him from even trying? Why did I say I disagreed with you? Why did I think it would Not be hard to find a handle? Well, for one, I have a door handle that came from a Kelvinator C-7! Two, I found for myself and from others at a Facebook vintage frig discussion that the best way to find parts is to buy a whole frig. I found my replacement door handle that way - locally on Craigslist. Of the half dozen or more I spoke to No one would sell just parts. Even if I agreed to their asking price.
‘Now, your other comments about search tips on eBay, was right on. Your info on replacement insulation, excellent. But your veiled snide comment about ‘you just have to refine your search and be patient’ wrong in his case. perhaps snide. but not wrong for others. Except he was looking for a late 40’s Kelvinator door handle. None on eBay. Not in 6 months. How do I know? Well, I wanted to make sure what I spoke was correct. I checked and did multiple completed searches on eBay. (I’ve been doing eBay since ‘97, selling since 2001) None, not a one. So I am sorry 6mo+ wait is not about being ‘patient’. Is it still possible? Absolutely, you can find almost anything on eBay.
I’m not sure what you’re talking about ‘similar model, hundreds of handles’. Im sorry, but the guy was Only asking about a late 40’s Kelvinator handle. Form the early 40’s to just before ‘55, the MoistMaster handle was the same (minor trim embellishment in the early 50’s). Early 40’s another different style was made. Later 40s was similar looking but all chrome, but I can’t be certain it’s the same connection. 1950 changed again. Early 50s, maybe 3 different styles. Starting in 1955, they were year specific for next few years. Overall, not that hard to narrow down what handle fits your model.

As to door gaskets, AntiqueAppliance is kind of a rip off, IMHO. Over priced and No free shipping. This is a much better price, with free shipping:

ok that’s all I have to say. I’m a little surprised you‘re a staff member. Oh, and I will not be reading your comment. Enclosed is a pic of my big, bad, burnt orange baby...

Attachments

• 0625B9E5-FD01-44A7-B06D-F0D1B17A7ADD.jpeg
    0625B9E5-FD01-44A7-B06D-F0D1B17A7ADD.jpeg
    531.5 KB · Views: 89

Vintage Junk

Premium Member
Hey @ Sandxxsun, I just scored a Leonard that's likely 55-57. It's working like magic. I have been looking for the striker that bolts to the main body. The handle is intact. Also interested in the door seal that you spoke of. As best I can tell, both are similar/same as the kelvinators of the same era. Much appreciated.