1950s Wedgewood pilot won't stay lit.

Dcrim

Premium Member
We've been having this problem with our stove. It will work fine for months then all of a sudden start acting up. The pilot in the stove will go out, constantly. We are always able to relight it and hit the red button to relight the burner, but the pilot will go out again, in a few seconds, or minutes, or might be fine for a few days or months before doing it again. It seems to do it in batches though. We'll have the problem for a week or so and then it will work fine for a long time till, out of nowhere, it's doing it again. Any ideas? No issues with the top burners.

Attachments

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I can help you but I need to see what style it is. Remove the oven floor and heat shield then take a pic of the pilot light assembly and gas safety valve, and the one with the red button. Post them here and I'll see what I can do.

Dcrim

Premium Member
I can help you but I need to see what style it is. Remove the oven floor and heat shield then take a pic of the pilot light assembly and gas safety valve, and the one with the red button. Post them here and I'll see what I can do.
Thanks so much. Is this enough?

Attachments

rickgburton

Staff member
Awesome! Try this first: You will need a small toothbrush size wire brush. blow out the pilot light but don't turn off the gas. Use the wire brush to clean the round pilot head (gently). Relight the pilot light and use the wire brush to lightly tap on the top round piece and knock some of the carbon deposits loose.

Dcrim

Premium Member
Awesome! Try this first: You will need a small toothbrush size wire brush. blow out the pilot light but don't turn off the gas. Use the wire brush to clean the round pilot head (gently). Relight the pilot light and use the wire brush to lightly tap on the top round piece and knock some of the carbon deposits loose.
Thanks, I will try. I also sanded down the thermocouple. I noticed there's a screw on top of the pilot light, could I unscrew that and blow the whole thing out or is it not that easy?

Dcrim

Premium Member
Ok, I tried that. Brushed around the outside with a wire brush and then with a soft brush. Lit it and tapped it. Fired up the stove for and it lit fine. 10 minutes later, both flames were out again. It seems to be an issue that happens more when the oven is on. The pilot will stay lit for days, but then we go to use it and well turn the oven on, put something in there to bake and check to see the progress and both flames are out. If the thermocouple is malfunctioning and shutting the gas off to the burner, would that also be cutting the gas off to the pilot light?

rickgburton

Staff member
These old stoves are all designed different. There's an inert gas in the thermocouple that expands with heat against a diaphragm to open the valve. Does the gas line for the pilot light come from the oven thermostat? There could be some adjustments. Do you think you could draw a gas line schematic from where the supply line connects to the stove? Or pictures is fine. Can you also take a picture of the thermostat from the top and one straight ahead with the knob off. Look on the front of the thermostat for any adjustment screws

Dcrim

Premium Member
Thanks so much! From what I can tell, the gas line for the pilot comes directly from the main gas line, before the thermostat. I see a line connecting the thermostat to the "magnetic valve". Then there is a similar sized line coming out the other side of the magnetic valve that goes down to the red button reset unit... I believe to the back of that unit. There's another line coming out closer to the red button that goes straight down through the floor of the oven, I'm not sure where that's going. It does not feel to me like the knob of the thermostat comes off easily. I don't see any set screws in the face of it. Perhaps it unscrews from inside the unit.

Here is a rudimentary diagram and some more photos.

The pilot lights up top never go out.

Attachments

rickgburton

Staff member
Excellent! Just give me a little time to go over everything. The thermostat knob could be on pretty tight but it pulls straight off. If you use a couple small screwdrivers on each side between the knob and the chrome dial it will come off. Don't force it.

rickgburton

Staff member
Awesome! When you turn the thermostat on does the pilot light get any bigger or a secondary flame?

Dcrim

Premium Member
Awesome! When you turn the thermostat on does the pilot light get any bigger or a secondary flame?
I do not see any change in the pilot light when turning the thermostat. The burner down there just lights up when I turn the knob. The pilot remains consistent.