1954 Frigidaire Refrigerator not cooling

Orion432

Premium Member
Hello everyone!

I just picked up a 1954 Frigidaire Refrigerator (0590368) and I am trying to get it up and running.

The issue that I am having is that the compressor runs (constantly actually) but the fridge/ freezer never cools.

It looks as though the fridge is charged with freon (although, I'm unsure if it is the R-12 that is supposed to be in there).

Although I haven't been able to find much at all in the way of documentation on this fridge I think that it might be the "cold contol". Although I'm unsure of how to test this theory (maybe just by looping the wires and bypassing it?)

If anyone has any insight as to what exactly might be the culprit I would gladly appreciate it!

I'm really looking forward to refinishing the fridge to its original glory and sticking some beer in it when it takes its place in my basement bar! It'll fit in quite well with my '61 mid century modern home!

Thanks everyone!

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
NOT the thermostat

1954 Frigidaire Refrigerator (0590368)
That is not the model number. The actual model number will be stamped in 2" high letters and numbers on the rear of the cabinet.

the fridge is charged with freon although, I'm unsure if it is the R-12
It's most likely R12 but I would think it should be listed on the appliance identification tag.

the compressor runs (constantly actually) but the fridge/ freezer never cools... I think that it might be the "cold contol".
All the thermostat (aka 'cold control') does is turn the compressor on and off. If the compressor is running, the thermostat is doing its job and is not the problem.

If the compressor IS running but the appliance is NOT cooling, either there is a problem with the refrigerant or the compressor is defective.

Dan O.

Orion432

Premium Member
That is not the model number. The actual model number will be stamped in 2" high letters and numbers on the rear of the cabinet.
Okay, in that case it would be "STD 110 C" see attached.

It's most likely R12 but I would think it should be listed on the appliance identification tag.
It is listed...and does say R-12

All the thermostat (aka 'cold control') does is turn the compressor on and off. If the compressor is running, the thermostat is doing its job and is not the problem.
Good to know!

If the compressor IS running but the appliance is NOT cooling, either there is a problem with the refrigerant or the compressor is defective.
What would I be noticing if it is the compressor? and/ or how do I test?

Thanks for the reply, Dan!

IMG_20190424_173246.jpg IMG_20190424_173246.jpg

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
What would I be noticing if it is the compressor? and/ or how do I test?
You wouldn't notice anything. The only way to tell would be attach gauges and see what the refrigerant pressures were while running. (There was a special tool used to access the sealed system on many GM Frigidaire models. I don't know if yours is one of them.)

BTW My former boss worked with GM Frigidaire since 1963 and said he'd never seen a Frigidaire compressor actually fail.

If you want to look for a refrigerant leak, a possible visible sign might be an actual puncture of the evaporator (freezer box) by knife or screwdriver.

JMO

Dan O.