1954 Kenmore Range - Ovens work fine, but stove top elements quit working all at once

dinger2

Howdy-
So I've got this Kenmore Classic which is original to the house- 1954. Ovens work fine, but stovetop elements quit working all at once. Had Sears come out; neither the tech nor I could locate serial #. (My luck, it's probably on the back.) Any ideas? We figured out since ovens have juice, there has to be a wiring issue. Sears won't touch it because of lack of serial #. Would really like to repair rather than replace because of size- replace means messing with cabinets. Would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks- Brett

Attachments

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
dinger2 said:
Had Sears come out; neither the tech nor I could locate serial #.
Is that a pull-out drawer? Some such ranges have the model and serial number tag under one of the surface elements. BTW It's the model number that is most important, not the serial number.

dinger2 said:
Ovens work fine, but stovetop elements quit working all at once.
On drawer-range models there is often a switch that cuts off power to the surface elements when the drawer isn't fully extended, as a safety precaution. Check for such a switch, it's operation and the connecting wiring.

Dan O.