1955 Hotpoint Range - Vintage stove power cord

Janafana

Model Number
108RB64
1955 Hotpoint range, a newer power cord was attached when purchased and I think it is too powerful for the current stove wiring. Can anyone tell me what power cord should be on the vintage stove and maybe a picture or where to purchase one? The current smaller guage 14 and 16 guage wires are melty and I feel like they were caused by the 50 amp current plug belonging on a new oven? Any help?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
a newer power cord was attached when purchased and I think it is too powerful for the current stove wiring.

There is no such thing. The higher the cord rating, the more power it can handle. It's rating doesn't affect anything else.

The current smaller guage 14 and 16 guage wires are melty

If the connections are melty, it's likely because of a bad connection. Either they became loose or they were not tight to begin with. Any affected wiring needs to be trimmed back to an unaffected portion before reconnecting. If the terminal block is discolored or melted, it should be replaced at the same time.

LINK > The Appliance Clinic: Main Range Terminal Block

Dan O.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
All range power cords are rated for 50 amps. Dryer power cords are rated for 30 amps. Any 3 wire or 4 wire range cord will work. Electrical code for your area might require a 4 wire cord. Look at the outlet to see if it's 4 or 3 wire.