1958 Refrigerator thermostat

mowog67

Premium Member
Model Number
Na
Hi all,
I have a 1958 Chris Craft Constellation that I live aboard. It has the original icebox and it’s been working fine for years. I had a question regarding the thermostat and the function of the screws under the plate.
Recently a friend said my icebox could be about 10 degrees cooler and I mistakenly allowed him to adjust these screws. Now the unit will not cool at all. The compressor is running in the engine room. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• B34260D4-87A0-47F0-A751-B3C611D748D1.jpeg
    B34260D4-87A0-47F0-A751-B3C611D748D1.jpeg
    382.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 30B9D1CE-156F-442E-9881-FBAE21FD6303.jpeg
    30B9D1CE-156F-442E-9881-FBAE21FD6303.jpeg
    369.4 KB · Views: 7

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Now the unit will not cool at all. The compressor is running in the engine room

All the thermostat usually does is turn the compressor on and off. If the compressor is actually running, the thermostat is doing its job.

IF the refrigerator was not cooling sufficiently before, that may have been the first sign of a refrigeration system problem which is now more fully evident. You'll probably need to have a technician look into it for you. (Refrigeration work should not be attempted by amatures... if you want any hope of saving it.)

BTW I would suggest you not let it continue to run if it's not cooling. It could cause more extensive damage. Turn it off until it can be looked at. It might need to be running for a while before the technician comes. Ask them about that when you talk to them.

JMO

Dan O.

Old Fridge Guy

Premium Member
The screw in the upper right of the photo is a temperature adjustment screw. W=Warmer and C=Colder. It is set to almost the maximum warmer side as evidenced by the little arrow on the screw head. This adjustment makes the setting of the main temperature dial (large dial with the arrow on it) either a bit warmer or colder depending on which way you turn the screw. The other screw to the left of the main temperature dial marked "Increase" appears to be the range adjustment. The range of the thermostat is the difference between the turn on and turn off temperatures of the thermostat. This difference is usually only a few degrees. But I agree with Dan, changing these settings, in your case, has nothing to do with the refrigerator no longer cooling since the compressor is running. With the compressor running the thermostat is calling for cooling. This is a refrigeration system problem. Not a thermostat problem.

mowog67

Premium Member
Thanks to you both!
I hear you saying there's a cooling problem, it does make sense. The only thing that makes me think twice is this - He adjusted the screws and after a few hours, I noticed that the compressor never shot off. It just kept running, but no cooling.
I have a tech coming to look at it tomorrow.