1960s Electric Tappan Gurney 430C Series Fabulous 400 single oven w/ pull out tray

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
GIM said:
On activating the cycling switch that turns on the oven both elements turn on, the bake and the broil element. The broil element however should only come on if the cycling switch is rotated fully to the broil element.
Both broil element wires are connected to the thermostat. The contact points in the thermostat that should be open until broil is selected, are shorted/stuck together.

GIM

Premium Member
1.Could you open the component pics I sent #16 @3:32 p.m. yesterday. They show invalid? Should I resend?
2.If we were to remove broil wires from # 9 and from #5 and tape them off would the oven bake element still function properly? We could try that this evening if safe to do?
3.Is it possible that the selection switch relay has shorted and if so would it cause the same result? If yes, how would we test it? If not, can you advise what make of transformer (specs) could be used.
I appreciate the guidance and time you are giving us...thank you.

rickgburton

Staff member
If we were to remove broil wires from # 9 and from #5 and tape them off would the oven bake element still function properly?
Unknown, I would need a wire schematic to be able to give you that information. My best guess is it will probably work. Test it first with a temperature gauge to make sure it doesn't have a runaway temperature.
Is it possible that the selection switch relay has shorted ..... can you advise what make of transformer (specs) could be used.
It's possible but not probable. The selector switch is before the thermostat so if the selector switch was shorted the open contacts in the thermostat would stop power from reaching the broil element. It's rare to have more than one component fail at the same time. On the wire diagram the "cycling switch" looks like a two wire switch or maybe a potentiometer so it should show open/no continuity on one position and closed on the other position or variable resistance between open and closed. I'm not sure what transformer you're referring to. There's a transformer for the lights only.

GIM

Premium Member
IMG_2897.JPGIMG_2904.JPG
Unknown, I would need a wire schematic to be able to give you that information. My best guess is it will probably work. Test it first with a temperature gauge to make sure it doesn't have a runaway temperature.
I think you have found the schematic now...it was sent with a pic of the xfmr 27 Feb.

It's possible but not probable. The selector switch is before the thermostat so if the selector switch was shorted the open contacts in the thermostat would stop power from reaching the broil element. It's rare to have more than one component fail at the same time.
I was really wondering if it might be the selector switch and not the transformer that was causing the problem as the problem arose when the selector switch was in the broil position. The broil element was on pre- heating the oven and it was when I was moving the selection switch from Broil to Off that the popping sound was heard. That would mean the contacts in the thermostat would have been in the closed position and supplying power when the short occurred. When I turn the oven selector switch on now, which should just engage the bake element, the broiler element comes on with the bake element but wont turn off.

On the wire diagram the "cycling switch" looks like a two wire switch or maybe a potentiometer so it should show open/no continuity on one position and closed on the other position or variable resistance between open and closed. I'm not sure what transformer you're referring to. There's a transformer for the lights only.
The transformer is the one on the schematic that we were testing with the meter on #5 and #9. I have made two attempts to resend the transformer picture but have had problems...one was sent on 27 Feb with the schematic. If the Selector switch is not the problem then I am left with finding a compatible transformer and would need to know the type of transformer (its specifications) or a model number to look for if I am to salvage my stove. Thanks again.

rickgburton

Staff member
I only have the wiring diagram. Post the schematic here. You keep saying transformer. That's the thermostat that needs to be replaced

Make sure the pictures are on your computer. On the toolbar above, click on the picture icon. It's the third one from the right between the filmstrip icon and the world with a red x. On the window that pops up select computer and then "Select File". Navigate to your pictures. Select the picture and click on open or OK. In the insert image window select upload files.

Last edited:

GIM

Premium Member
IMG_2903.JPGIMG_2905.JPGIMG_2906.JPGIMG_2907.JPGTappan Gurney Series 400 Electric Single Oven EDKNR 436C.JPG
I only have the wiring diagram. Post the schematic here. You keep saying transformer. That's the thermostat that needs to be replaced

I thought a Wiring Diagram and a Schematic were one and the same. I have a Wiring Diagram only. We must apologize as well for consistently referring to a Transformer when it is the THERMOSTAT that we have been testing...the world of electrics has us in a spin. I am sorry for the confusion this has caused. The pictures previously forwarded #24 were of the Thermostat in its original position and then it was turned upside down to view the leads. We thought that might be helpful. We were not able to determine a part # from the printing on it.
Pictures of other components previously sent but show as invalid attachments will hopefully be viewable with this reply.
If you can identify the Cycling switch from the pictures we could test it as well with your guidance. Do you have any suggestion for a compatible Thermostat or its specs?

Make sure the pictures are on your computer. On the toolbar above, click on the picture icon. It's the third one from the right between the filmstrip icon and the world with a red x. On the window that pops up select computer and then "Select File". Navigate to your pictures. Select the picture and click on open or OK. In the insert image window select upload files.

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member
The original thermostat is no longer available and I don't know of any replacement that would work.

GIM

Premium Member
The original thermostat is no longer available and I don't know of any replacement that would work.
Any idea or lead on who might know of a replacement that would work would be appreciated? As seniors the thought of a total kitchen gutting is overwhelming.
Thank you for your assistance.
GIM

rickgburton

Staff member