1963 Frigidaire

Hansel

Premium Member
Model Number: FPI-63-CH
Brand: Frigidaire

I recently purchased this beauty at an estate sale, and it was working just fine until our power went out. I'm pretty sure based on the tertiary research I've done, that the compressor is still OK, and all I need to do is replace the old YT-Relay Switch with a modern Supco R041 relay. The thing I am unsure of is exactly how to connect all the wires properly to the new relay.

The Red, White, and Black wires that come from the compressor don't all go the the three main terminals on the old YT Relay like I thought they would. 2 of them do, the Red(goes to terminal labeled "S") and the Black(goes to terminal labeled "M", but the red one goes to one of the power terminals(I'm not sure if I'm using the correct terminology, but I will provide pictures so you can see what I'm talking abou). The White wire from the compressor goes to one of the two terminals on the bottom. There is a Pink colored wire coming from somewhere in the underbelly of the fridge that goes to the terminal labeled "L" on the YT Relay.

Can anyone provide me with a proper wiring diagram or be willing to walk me through how I should hook everything up to the new R041 relay? Many Thanks in advance to all who heed my pleas for assistance.

IMG_2672.jpg IMG_2669.jpg IMG_2672.jpg IMG_2669.jpg

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Recheck the model number

Model Number: FPI-63-CH
That model number is incorrect. Please double check it. It will usually be stamped in 2" high stencil lettering on the rear of the cabinet.

Can anyone provide me with a proper wiring diagram or be willing to walk me through how I should hook everything up to the new R041 relay?
I've never attempted to install one on a GM Frigidaire model. Why not try to find the proper relay? We might be able to help with that with the correct model number and/or the numbers off the original relay.

Dan O.

Hansel

Premium Member
Thanks Dan, I’ll look for the correct model numbers and see what we can come up with

Hansel

Premium Member
Dan, The model number on the back of the fridge in 2” stencil is fpi-16b-63-ch. Do you have one for that?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
GM Frigidaire YT Relay

Do you have one for FPI-16B-63-CH?
The relay for that model is # 5876838 (it could also be numbered 05876838 or 53005876838). There looks to currently be one available at the following link.

LINK > GM Frigidaire YT Relay

Dan O.

Hansel

Premium Member
Hello Dan, so I just got this part in, and it rattles when you give it a little shake. I think I remember reading somewhere that if your relay rattles, it is defunct. Is this the case?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Don't shake it!

Hansel; said:
I just got this part in, and it rattles when you give it a little shake. I think I remember reading somewhere that if your relay rattles, it is defunct. Is this the case?
No and you shouldn't shake it! It has moving parts in it that could be damaged. Rattling as a symptom of defect only applies to newer, solid state relays.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
They were pretty well made back then. it likely survived fine unless you went nuts with the shaking.