1967 Whirlpool Freezer ECV21IWR0 --- does anyone know this model?

ArtMustel

Premium Member
Model Number: ECV21IWR0
Brand: Whirlpool

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum, trying to find some info about an old vertical freezer, the Whirpool 21I model (this is 21 then a letter I ) . It is old (no idea how old but it is for sure more than 10 years old). Big vertical freezer, 21 cubic feet. It is so strange that I am unable to fins any references to it on the web. I was given it for free, brought it home and seems to work well but I am curious about this appliance. Of course a users manual would be great but I've looked everywhere to no avail. If anyone knows this model and could give me any info about it I would appreciate it very much. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
OK, that's not the model tag. The model tag has the model number and serial number on it. It also has the R12 charge. It looks like it's on the bottom of the freezer. I marked it.
F1.JPG

rickgburton

Staff member
That one works just fine. Manufactured the 2nd week of May 1977. As far a an owners manual, there really wasn't one. A single page that said turn it to a higher number for colder a lower number for warmer and defrost it once a year. Don't use any sharp objects to defrost it.

ArtMustel

Premium Member
Thank you Rick, that was very helpful. It is pretty old, now I am a bit concerned....it must be a kilowatt hungry monster, but i wouldn't know until my next electric bill!

It has a dial marked 1 to 7. I am using it at 5 and everything looks well frozen, should I use a lower setting?

Thanks again!

rickgburton

Staff member
....it must be a kilowatt hungry monster, should I use a lower setting?
It has a big compressor so it will eat a lot of electricity. The temperature range is probably 20°F to -20°F

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
1967 model

It's actually older than that.

Appliance411 said:
Brand: Whirlpool
Type: Freezer
Model: ECV21IWR0
Serial: F7H183745

According to the serial number this product may have been manufactured August of 1967.
Its parts list is also dated 8-67

JFYI

Dan O.