1968 Hotpoint Range

vssparky

Premium Member
Model Number: 108RCS 36J
Brand: Hotpoint

Looking to replace the oven gasket. It attaches to the oven and not the door. I believe I need to remove a screw in the oven and then working in back some sort of clip. This allows the liner to pull forward and facilitate replacing the gasket. Problem is I have no idea as to obtaining the gasket needed. When I contact appliance part sites the model comes up as incorrect. I even contacted hotpoint/ge and included a photo of the model/serial number plate and was told it was wrong!
Anyone have any thoughts here? Thank you!Stove TagL.jpg

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The problem is the age of the range. You can use a universal type gasket that comes in different lengths and has a metal hook on each end. Then drill four small holes in the oven and hook the gaskets in. This one will probably work:
Door Seal 1802I056
Door-Seal-1802I056-01137111.jpg

vssparky

Premium Member
Thanks but I'm hoping to get something that can be clamped (pinched) between the liner and the oven chassis like the original. Its hard to find the correct profile... Also I'm not sure the gasket actually went all the way around. There might of been a gap on the bottom for airflow?

Attachments

rickgburton

Staff member
Back in the 80's that gasket was no longer available so we had no choice but to use the ones with the hooks. That was a common type seal for many manufactures on ovens that were not self clean. They work just fine and it's much easier than separating the liner. You're correct, the gasket had a gap at the bottom. You only need three sides.

vssparky

Premium Member
IF I can find gasket material that might work, is there anything I need to be aware of in sliding the liner forward? Obviously I'd only move it out just far enough to remove the remains and install the new.
I'd also like to rewire from the switches back to the four stove burners. What should I be looking for as far as the wire itself? Looks to be 14 gauge and I assume high temp... best source? Thank you for all your help.

rickgburton

Staff member
I can't think of any problems you might run into when replacing the seal but it's been awhile since I replaced one. You just need to loosen the two nuts to slide the oven cavity forward. As long as the wire is high temp you shouldn't have any problems. Check the home centers or maybe amazon.

vssparky

Premium Member
Trying to change the gasket. Two screws top and bottom and two springs on back but something on top is still attached. No idea. Maybe you do?