Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GHW9400PL1 Whirlpool Duet F06 error code

Default GHW9400PL1 Whirlpool Duet F06 error code

Model Number: GHW9400PL1
    Brand: Whirlpool

Back in May our washer started throwing code F06 as it was entering the spin cycle, stopping at that point. a restart would result in same code and stopage. Since still covered by Bestbuys PSP they sent out a service tech who inspected the washer but ended up doing nothing more than cycle the power and reseat some connectors. Washer worked fine until this last weekend and now is exhibiting the same problem. I've called for a tech again, but last time he looked at it he really wasn't sure how to go about fixing this problem, he found no issues with the drive motor and associated belt drive components (this code refers to possible motor or slippage problems?) Any ideas on where to look for a more substantial fix?
    I don't think the wife will like unplugging the washer for a few minutes everytime it throws this code
    Last edited by Jake; August 13th, 2010 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Corrected model#

Whats the model# of your washer? Its located inside the door.

The F/06 is:
    Drive Motor Tachometer Error
    The control is unable to properly detect motor speed and the machine will shut down. If a failure occurs during high-speed spin, the door will be unlocked after 3 minutes.

The tech. should check these:

Check wire harness connections between the Drive Motor/Tachometer and the Motor Control Unit (MCU), and between the MCU and the Central Control Unit (CCU)
    Check the Drive Motor
    Check the MCU
    Check the Wire Harness

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default Model # GHW9400PL1

Thanks for the info. So is unplugging the power cord and unplugging/reconnecting some connectors considered a real fix to this issue? Seems there should be a better fix... I'd sure like to find it while it's still covered by the extended warrantee.

No, not a permanent fix.

Its likely a bad motor, as other members have reported that a new motor fixed it permanently.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default Service tech visit today

Service tech worked on the washer for about an hour and was on the phone with Whirlpool. Decided the wire harness between motor and MCU? is bad. Tech said we would be waiting for 2-4 weeks to get the part. Something about they can't just order the part anymore, must come from extended warrantee provider. I think this is the last extended protection plan I'll ever purchase.... good thing I know how to reset washer so it's still functional for now.

Thats way to long to wait, yes only buy extended warranties from the manufacturer which would be Whirlpool on yours.

Contact your Best buy extended warranty phone number and ask for customer relations to see if they can expedite this.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

how do you reset it?

Quote Originally Posted by sandyds View Post
    how do you reset it?
    I reset it by removing power (unplugging) for several minutes or even overnight. Sometimes it worked sometimes it didn't. I was always able to get it working again, just not in a timely manner.

A recap:
    First service visit the connectors between motor control board and motor were reseated (unplugged and plugged back in) this "fixed" the problem for 4 months.

2nd repair attempt- this same harness was replaced. Error showed up again in a week.

3rd- motor control board was replaced. Washer has been error free since replacing this control board. Keeping fingers crossed.

Thanks for the update.

Here's the MCU(motor control unit) for your model:
    Motor Control Board 8182706 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default fixing the problem of f06

Quote Originally Posted by 3fordasho View Post
    Back in May our washer started throwing code F06 as it was entering the spin cycle, stopping at that point. a restart would result in same code and stopage. Since still covered by Bestbuys PSP they sent out a service tech who inspected the washer but ended up doing nothing more than cycle the power and reseat some connectors. Washer worked fine until this last weekend and now is exhibiting the same problem. I've called for a tech again, but last time he looked at it he really wasn't sure how to go about fixing this problem, he found no issues with the drive motor and associated belt drive components (this code refers to possible motor or slippage problems?) Any ideas on where to look for a more substantial fix?
    I don't think the wife will like unplugging the washer for a few minutes everytime it throws this code

There is a plug going from the MCU (motor control unit) to the motor and which plugs in to the motor. the plug has a few pins inside. unplug the washer and using a small screwdriver push all the pins inside the plug as far inside as you can. That should fix your f06 problem and that is how i fixed mine.

When we put heavy load, due to the shaking when spinning, the pins as loose in the plug and when the drum rotates the pins get loose and the MCU cannot detect the motor during a wash cycle. Pushing the pins inside tight will make sure the contacts are working.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast