• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

1992 LAT8600AAW Maytag Washer - Not spinning

64Schwinn

Premium Member
Model Number
LAT8600AAW
Brand
Maytag
Hello everyone. I am brand new to the forum. I arrived here as a result of research to repair a no spin condition. I have narrowed the problem down to a tub bearing and am waiting for parts to arrive.

I have the service manual for the washer and read that Maytag 56080 oil (new part number: 056080) is recommended for both the transmission and brake package. I’d like to relube the brake package while making the repairs. Is there a suitable substitute for the 56080 oil? Is automotive 80W90 gear oil appropriate?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions. Cheers!

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Lets step back a minute, when it tries to spin what happens? Does the motor run but the belt on the transmission pulley does not turn? Or what?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
So when you turn the transmission pulley with your hand both ways it wont turn? Or does it turn fine in agitate mode and does not turn in spin mode?

You don't need any oil at all when you replace the tub seal, brake package, and tub bearing.

Here's the spanner wrench to remove the inner tub: Pro TJ90TB123A Spanner Wrench

Here's the tub bearing kit for your model:
6-2040130 Tub Bearing Kit

Whenever you change the tub bearing you ALWAYS have to change the tub mounting stem seal kit assembly.

Here's the mounting stem seal kit assembly for your model:
6-2095720 Mounting Stem Repair Kit

The video on how to replace these two parts are located in the part links.

Here's the brake package for this model:
WP6-2011900 Brake Assembly

Video included in part link, but that brake tool is no longer available, you may be able to go to a local appliance repair shop in your area and they may let you borrow or rent theirs.:)

Jake

64Schwinn

Premium Member
Thanks so much for the insight Jake. Yes, I can turn the pulley by hand in agitate mode, but it is hard to turn in spin mode. I removed the brake package, but it still requires a fair bit of effort to turn the transmission.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then its likely that tub bearing has gone bad.

Jake

64Schwinn

Premium Member
Here’s an update to my repair. After questioning my initial diagnosis, I decided to look at the problem again. I determined the tub bearing wasn’t seized after all. From there, I decided to inspect the brake assembly.

I dismantled it, ensuring spring tension was contained, and found that the friction material was in very good condition. I cleaned it thoroughly, applied new lubricant and reassembled it. I can post pics of the process if anyone is interested. I know these would normally be replaced rather than repaired, but being an automotive technician with an inquisitive mind, I elected to look for a specific problem within it rather than “throw parts it”. Anyhow, I reassembled it and changed both bearings that work with the brake assembly and the pulley. Reassembled it and it has been working as it should for several weeks now.

Upon reassembly, I noticed the two electric motor springs were stretched ever so slightly. I ordered a new pair and they arrived yesterday. They are the correct part number, 202718, but as you can see from the photo, the new ones are too long. The springs I took out are the originals as we bought the machine new in 1992 and it has never been repaired. I have asked the retailer for some advice and am waiting to hear back, but thought I would ask for further insight here. I have checked 4 different part supplier websites, and the 202718 is the only option showing for my machine.

Any thoughts? Thank you.

Attachments

64Schwinn

Premium Member
Yes, the motor mount springs. Your pic is of the complete kit with springs and rollers. I just ordered the new springs as the rollers were in excellent condition. The springs in kit 205000 are the springs I have only without the rollers.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, that's why it's odd those springs are different sizes, never seen that before in my 33 years as a career tech.

I always order that kit I posted above and it always fixes all mine.

Jake

64Schwinn

Premium Member
“Never seen that before”, words you never want to hear😂. I took some careful measurements of my old springs before reinstalling them. I will leave them for now and in the meantime, source some generic springs from my industrial supplier in the event one breaks or stretches to the point where belt tension can’t be maintained.
If my parts supplier digs up any other relevant info, I’ll post their response.
Thank you.