• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED 1996 Sears Kenmore Coldspot 106.9555382 Fridge and Freezer Not Cooling Enough

Momof4Boys

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
The 1996 Kenmore Coldspot 106.9555382 side-by-side fridge and freezer both became too warm to keep food. It may have happened gradually over a few days but I noticed when everything in the freezer thawed. I had no water leakage in the floor like I had with a timer problem 20 years ago. The fan is running, I can hear the compressor relay clicking, the compressor was pretty warm to touch when I first removed the back panel. I unplugged the unit overnight and then plugged it back up to see if I felt the compressor running. I am not certain I feel anything from the compressor but it does gradually grow warm again as the fridge runs. I feel no vibration so it is either very smooth running or not running. I am not sure why it grows warm if it is not running though. Seeking any advice on the problem...relay, compressor, thermostat, freon? How can I identify the problem? If it is a major problem, it may be best to invest in a new one, but I would like to just repair the old one if the cost is not too high. I also nloticed that where warm air used to blow out of the front of the fridge/freezer near the floor, the air is now cool.

Last edited:

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

The fan is running, I can hear the compressor relay clicking, the compressor was pretty warm to touch when I first removed the back panel.

Kinda sounds like the compressor is not running but trying to run ( clicking ) = warm FZ and FF sections.

*Some* clicking compressor info...
https://www.applianceaid.com/refrigerator-repair-help.php#clicking

If it is a major problem, it may be best to invest in a new one, but I would like to just repair the old one if the cost is not too high.

True!

Seeking any advice on the problem...relay, compressor, thermostat, freon?

Relay - possible.
Compressor - very possible.
Thermostat - not likely.
Refrigerant gas - possible, but normally the compressor runs but is not cooling.

jeff sr.

Momof4Boys

Premium Member
Thanks Jeff, I ordered a new relay online and it seemed to be the having the same issue, so I assumed it is the compressor and just purchased a new refrigerator. Waiting for delivery. Thanks for your reply.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I ordered a new relay online and it seemed to be the having the same issue, so I assumed it is the compressor and just purchased a new refrigerator

Exactly! (y)

jeff sr.