• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED 2004 Whirlpool Gold Refrigerator GD5RHAXNB00 ice maker not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

AppleJack

Premium Member
Model Number
GD5RHAXNB00
Brand
Whirlpool
Hi Everyone, I bought a used side by side fridge/freezer on Craigslist for the primary purpose of replacing my garage fridge with one that makes ice. There was nothing wrong with my old one, I just wanted an ice maker. The sellers assured me the ice maker worked well. of course, it does not... I have learned more than I would like about these ice makers reading other posts, but I am still wondering how to fix my own.

The water spout on door works fine, but no water is coming into the ice tray. I clipped the ice machine water supply in back, to see if it was charged with water, and it is not. I am willing to replace what needs to be replaced, but I don't want to replace parts unnecessarily. Can anyone help me determine what is not working properly?

Thanks, all help appreciated.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Put a freezer thermometer inside the freezer and give it a couple hours and tell us what it reads. Because the freezer has to be below 16 degrees at all times for the ice maker to work.

Lets check that your optics, here's the test we always go by:

Step#1: Open the freezer and view the status LED

(STATUS LED)

2 BLINKS FOLLOWED BY 1 SEC. DELAY(REPEATED)

POSSIBLE CAUSES: The flapper door on the emitter is blocking the beam or the optics are faulty.

Step#2: Press the emitter flapper to unblock the optics beam

(STATUS LED)

2 BLINKS FOLLOWED BY 1 SEC. DELAY(REPEATED)

POSSIBLE CAUSES: The optics are faulty. Replace the emitter and receiver boards.

If the LED is ON steady: The optics are working properly.

Here are the optics boards you can order, they come together in 1 kit with instructions and video:
W10757851 Cntrl-Elec

What position is the ice maker ejector fingers pointing? At you? down in the tray? Straight up?

Normal would be pointing at you or slightly above you. If yours is not, then its your ice maker that's bad.

Here's the ice maker for your model, see how the ejector arm fingers should be pointing right at you?
Ice Maker Assembly 2198597

Jake

AppleJack

Premium Member
Thank you Jake, when door flap is held shut, the infrared sensor stays on solid -- no blinking. Fingers are pointed towards me as shown in your pic. Filter has been changed and door water spout works fine. Thermometer in freezer shows 12 degrees after only 30 minutes... What do I check next? Thank you again for your help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, good. Let's see if you get water flow to the ice maker AND force cycle the ice maker.

To do a forced harvest, you first have to unplug your refrigerator for 5 minutes then plug it in, then hold the door light switch in and tape the flapper door closed (on the left side) , then you can jump V&L for water flow check. And also you can jump T&H and that will start your ice maker motor into a cycle. Don't leave the jumper wire in more than 7 seconds when you do that.

Make a jumper wire, an insulated piece of wire ( 14 gauge) with the ends of the wire bare approx 1/2".

You will need to FIRST slide out the ice maker and remove the front plastic cover on it, it just unsnaps off, leave the electrical connector on it in place.

Watch the video below, IT shows you how to slide the ice maker out.

Jake

AppleJack

Premium Member
Hi Jake, I appreciate your continued help, unfortunately, I am lost on this next step. I don't know what this means... "then you can jump V&L for water flow check. And also you can jump T&H and that will start your ice maker motor into a cycle. Don't leave the jumper wire in more than 7 seconds when you do that." I understand what a jumper wire is, but not where to put it, or what V&L or T&H mean...? I have removed the icemaker, as in the video, so that is not a problem, I just am not familiar with these other terms. Is there another video that shows this process?

Thanks again-

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
When you remove the front plastic ice maker cover you will see holes with Letters next to them, those are the test points and where you use the jumper wire.:)

Ice Maker Module No Cover.jpg

AppleJack

Premium Member
OK, I've got the cover off, test points exposed, ice machine still plugged in, light switch taped, and ice flapper taped... I jumped V&L and got water coming out of the black spout on top, YAY! I tried to jump T&H, but got nothing. What next?

Last edited:

AppleJack

Premium Member
Another update... I tried again 30 minutes later (after stripping jump wire even more) to jump T&H, nothing. To reassure myself, I tried jumping V&L again, and got nothing... Now I don't know if I am an incompetent jumper, or if this ice machine unit is officially no good?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its the ice maker itself that's bad, since you got water coming out, your water inlet valve is good, and the optics are good.

You probably were not making good contact the 2nd time you did it, or you forgot to hold the door switch in or tape the flapper closed.:)

You can order the ice maker from my link to it in post #2 above.

Also put a thermometer in the freezer and see what it reads after a couple hours, normal would be 0 to 10 degrees. Because the ice maker won't cycle unless the temperature in the freezer is ALWAYS below 16 degrees.

Jake

AppleJack

Premium Member
Incredibly helpful, thank you Jake. I'll let you know when I get that first sweet bucket load of effortless ice... :unsure:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Jack, sounds good, yes keep us posted.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Jack, glad to hear the new ice maker fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.