• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED 2009 Whirlpool Refrigerator ED5GVEXVD02 - freezer quit cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

toshik

Premium Member
Model Number
ED5GVEXVD02
Brand
Whirlpool
Today in the morning found a dump of water on the floor under the freezer door. Opened it up - everything is meting down, more water inside the temperature is around +10, cooler section is around +15 (Celcius)...
Freezer was a bit on a weak side for the last week just cranked freezer regulator a few notches down. Background - the whole fridge started cooling weaker back in July, had to tilt it up and clean the bottom coils from heavy lint/dust clogging. Cleaning completely resolved the problem (no damage was done).
What would be my next steps, check the relay - should it be under large vertical plastic panel in the freezed section? I't not sure how this thing works - one coil in the freezer section distributes cold to regular section as well?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
If the compressor is not running, check for 120 VAC at the compressor. If the voltage is correct, here's the part you need:

Check the wires where they go through the bottom freezer door hinge. We seen this a lot lately:
refrigerator door hinge wires.jpg
refrigerator door wires.jpg
1603502064356.jpg

toshik

Premium Member
Thank you! The compressor relay is on top of compressor in the rear bottom left so I don't have to disassemble anything inside?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

toshik

Premium Member
Thanks, ordered. To my surprise compressor heats like a boiler with a failed "starter" while being plugged in - no thermal protection at all?
For the time being soldered pigtail with a switch to opened MOSFET transistor pins on PCB and manually started the compressor.

BTW I have no wires going through the bottom freezer door hinge at all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.