• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED 2017 KitchenAid Dishwasher KDTE254ESS2 wash issues with inside video

Status
Not open for further replies.

martinirossi42

Premium Member
Model Number
KDTE254ESS2
Brand
KitchenAid
HI All,

Hoping someone can take a stab at this. I have a 2017 KitchenAid Dishwasher KDTE254ESS2 dishwasher that is not cleaning even though its making all the right sounds. I put a go pro in and ran a few cycles all with the same result. The wash pressure seems to be a bit low (to me) and the water is frequently being diverted between the lower and upper washer arms every few seconds. I also notice the middle rack washer arm is not spinning and not obstructed by any objects (empty washer).

The diagnostics mode displays error code 9-1, however once it displayed a 6 – 4, but only once.

What do you think, Diverter motor, Water inlet valve or pump motor?

Video link to you tube:

Thanks all,

Vince

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Vince, yes I see that in your video.

Have you removed and cleaned your filter screens?

Here's the filters for this model and the video is in the part link to show you how to remove/check-clean/replace the filter.

Pump Filter W10872845

Screen Filter WPW10463906

If your filters are good and clean, our other tech tmol had this same problem and he replaced the pump/motor assembly and that fixed it:

Your model uses the exact same one: W10902372 Pump & Motor

So I'd order and replace it.

Jake

martinirossi42

Premium Member
Hi Jake,
Thanks for taking time to respond! Dang it! I ordered a diverter motor since I thought that was the culprit (and im trying to be cheap, haha) but now I'll go ahead and order the part you provided too!
At some point putting $500 into an old washer versus buying a new cheap washer at Home depot for $500 sure makes you contemplate if we are doing the right thing.

Thanks again and Ill let you know how it works out!
Vince

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Vince, yes let us know how it goes.

Jake

martinirossi42

Premium Member
I forgot to mention that the filters, screen and arms are all free of debris and clean. I took the diverter motor out and bench test it, it works fine. I also took the pump motor off and it seems to work fine as well on the bench. Something is telling the diverter motor to constantly rotate since the lower arm only pushes water and spin for a few seconds then switches to the middle and top arms which dont seems to spin. Do you think that the pump is weak and not pressurizing the water enough?

martinirossi42

Premium Member
HI Everyone so I replace the entire sump assembly with all the included pumps and diverters, I also changed the water inlet valve, things are much better now in terms of water inlet flow and pump pressure however the middle rack still does not spin, plenty of water comes out just wont spin. It spins super easy by hand if I open the door while washing but it does not spin on its own with water pressure. Here is a video and the issue can be seen at @ 2:38 minutes. I think the spin are is not getting a good seal and water is leaking from the rear but allot of water is coming out the arm jets, just wont spin... The gasket and flapper seem on with minor wear, minimal. I checked for blockages and cleared a few and have plenty of flow just wont spin. I even tried to add a rubber washer on the tube that come from the rear to create a better seal and it seems to increase pressure but still no spin. Please take a look at the video and let me know your thought,.

Thanks All!
Vince

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, the water pressure is much better.:)

Check the manifold and make sure its good:
whirlpool-manifold-asm-bar-wpw10340542-ap6019913_01_l.jpg

If so, then I don't know why its not turning, hopefully another tech. or member will know.

Jake

martinirossi42

Premium Member
Thanks Jake,. Yes I took it apart and it looks fine, no blockages or cracks. The rubber white plastic is a tad worn but not broken. I wonder if the nipple coming from the back is missing a larger gasket or something...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

martinirossi42

Premium Member
Hi Again, Thanks for taking time to reply. I do not have hard water and I checked every tube and orifice to ensure no obstructions or blockages. I replaced the middle rack supply tube (the one that hangs from the rack) and the hole is definitely smaller so mine was worn out. I took another video and there is almost zero water leaking from that area now but the arm does not spin, even tho it spins freely by hand. So I am ordering a new spin arm, after that I'm done with this dishwasher and kitchen aid as a company. ill report back in a few days after I get the new spinner.

video:

@28 seconds you can see no spinning!

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, thanks for the update!

Yes keep us posted. Something else might be going on if the new spray arm does not resolve it. Your the 1st I've seen here to bring up this issue, if it was a common problem many other members would be replying here in your thread as well saying the same thing.

Here's the middle spray arm for your model:
Center Wash Arm Assembly WPW10448645

Jake

martinirossi42

Premium Member
Just took a video to see if I blocked the middle rack water port to see if the top/ceiling arm is spinning, nope! ARGHHH!

clearly seen starting at 2:55...

martinirossi42

Premium Member
The new middle rack spin arm came in, I held the base and spun it by hand and it spins VERY freely. My old arm spun freely as well just not as much. Installed it and now the arm spins when water is pumped thru it. Could this have been my issue all along? I spent @$500 in parts and it could have been the $40 arm all along..... ARGH!!!!
My fear is that so many others are having this same issue but would NEVER know unless they put a gopro camera inside to see.
Time mark: 1:10 -

thanks to all your help Jake and Robert

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad that fixed it.(y)

You needed those other parts as well, because you said the water pressure is much better with those new previous parts in it.:)

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.